"CHAGUANAS" Chaguanas by nsbm
Chaguanas Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 27 photos
The fastest growing town in the Caribbean this is no doubt the bargain capital of the region. Evocative Indo-Caribbean strands and the carnival melange of Trinidad blend fantastically in this modern market town. Located on the flat sugar plains of Caroni it is the third largest conurbation in the republic with a population of 70,000. Easily accesible and delightful to wander, this 20th century bazaar is worth a stop.
Chaguanas was originally named after the local Amerindian tribe 'Chaguanes' who had inhabited the area before the colonials. The modern town originated on the Robinson sugar estate and the adjoining De Verteuil cocoa orchards. Steeped in agricultural tradition its propulsion into 'boom-town' began in the 1980s transfoming itself into a central hub for the island and re-branding its sugary-fortunes with commercial enterprise and industry. It became a borough in 1990 with an elected mayor. It is due to be elevated to 'city-status' in 2007.
The heartland of Trinidad and East Indian culture the area effuses ethnic charm not only at carnival & christmas but is at the forefront during DIVALI-the festival of lights, Holi -Spring Feast and Eid-ul-fitr-Muslim Ramadan. The National Council for Indian Culture NCIC Nagar (Village) site is in North Chaguanas located in the Endeavour environs. The annual Divali Nagar hosts folks from the national; regional and international Indian diaspora.
Along with religious temples; monuments and local cuisine a visit to 'Central' provides the diversity in T&T
- Pros:eastern charm in western mode
- In a nutshell:too nice for words ...sweet 'Sugar-wanas'
The National Council for Indian Culture NCIC first launched its Divali Nagar-village of lites- celebration in 1986. Its... more travel advice
A great variety and a hit with locals...As usal the franchises underestimate the buying power of Chaguanites and always... more travel advice
nsbm's Related Pages
Chaguanas Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Chaguanas
- Transportation in Chaguanas
- Restaurants in Chaguanas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chaguanas
- 14 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Chaguanas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chaguanas
Photos in ChaguanasSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Grenada Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos
- Port-of-Spain Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Chaguanas Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos
- Prefecture de Butare Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kigali Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos