"CUSCO - PERU" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco by ThiagoRamos
Cuzco Travel Guide: 206 reviews and 522 photos
The name "Cusco" means "Navel" in Qechua and the city is located 3.400 meters above the sea level (be careful with the altitude sickness and try to rest for a few hours after arriving), in the Sacred Valley, in Peru.
An old inca legend said that Cusco was founded by Manco Capac (the first inca leader according to the legend) in the XI century. However, archeological studies point to a slow and organic occupation of the site around these centuries. Cusco is considered by historians and archeologists the OLDEST INHABITED CITY IN AMERICA and the ARCHEOLOGICAL CAPITAL OF THE CONTINENT.
Cusco was the most important administrative and cultural center of the Inca Empire.
After capturing the inca leader Atahualpa, Francisco Pizarro marched to Cusco and, in 1533, the spanish invaded and conquered the city.
Lima was founded 2 years later, in 1535, and soon became the new administrative center of the new colony, mainly because of its proximity to the Pacific Ocean.
After the spanish conquest, most of the inca buildings were destroyed and their stones and bricks were used to build catholic churches and colonial administrative buildings on the same spots where the inca buildings once stood. Europeans used to do that to show their pretentious superiority.
Although, nowadays, colonial architecture prevails in Cusco and gives the city a special charm and a cozy atmosphere, there are still a few inca ruins standing in the city and even more around it. Both, colonial architecture and inca ruins, make Cusco worth your visit!!!
- Pros:Colonial architecture, friendly people, history everywhere...
- Cons:Poor children begging on the streets. It´s heartbreaking.
- In a nutshell:A colonial gem 3400 meters above the sea level!!!
Sacsayhuaman was a big fortress located on the top of a hill near Cusco. What you see today is only a small part of the... more travel advice
Next to San Blas Church there is a beautiful and pleasant square. Climbing the stairs at the end of the square, you´ll... more travel advice
- Cienciano´s Garcilaso de la Vega Stadium
- See All Train to Aguas Calientes
- Coca Tea
- Monument to Cusco´s Founders
ThiagoRamos' Related Pages
Cuzco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco - Capital of the Inca Empire"
- "CUSCO - PERU"
- "Cuzco Blitz"
- "Ombligo del mundo"
- "The Navel of the World"
- "The Tourist Circut"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuzco
- Hotels in Cuzco
- Transportation in Cuzco
- Nightlife in Cuzco
- Restaurants in Cuzco
- Shopping in Cuzco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuzco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuzco
- 26 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Cuzco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuzco
Photos in CuzcoSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Peru Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Krakow Intro, 25 reviews, 66 photos
- Parati Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 22 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wieliczka Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Campos do Jordão Intro, 19 reviews, 13 photos
Latest Cuzco hotel reviews
- Sol & Luna Hotel
- 491 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Casa Andina Private Collection Cusco Peru
- 583 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Jose Antonio
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Libertador Palacio del Inka Cusco
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Suenos del Inka
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013