"HISTORY AND CARNIVAL IN DIAMANTINA (MG) - BRAZIL" Diamantina by ThiagoRamos
Diamantina Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 32 photos
Around 1720, diamonds were discovered in the region and the "Arraial do Tijuco" (former name of Diamantina) became a prosperous village. In 1734, the Arraial became the political and administrative center of the District of the Diamonds.
Trying to improve the taxes collection, the portuguese government created "The Contract" in 1739. According to The Contract, only the Contractor indicated by the portuguese government was authorized to explore the diamond mines. In spite of that, many illegal prospectors also extracted the diamonds, so many people were attracted to the village. Later, in 1771, the portuguese crown itself started to explore the mines directly after creating the "Royal Extraction of Diamonds".
In 1838, Arraial do Tijuco became the City of Diamantina
The foreign tourists usually associate Carnival to Rio de Janeiro. Brazilians don?t. Carnival is everywhere and the historical cities of Minas Gerais are no exception to this rule. Actually, they?re always packed with young people during this time of the year.
I?ve been in DIamantina 2 times for the Carnival (2004 and 2005) and I can tell you that it is an experience you will never forget!!! 4 days of music, drinking, dancing and more... much more!!! This is certainly different from anything you?ve ever experienced... believe me...
- Pros:History and Carnival. It?s VERY CHEAP!!!
- Cons:Too many slopes to climb. The city was built in a mountain...
This is what carnival is about!!! Having fun!!! Every street of the city historical center will be crowded with young... more travel advice
Diamantina is located in Minas Gerais State, 280 Km from Belo Horizonte (Minas Gerais´ capital and biggest city). This... more travel advice
ThiagoRamos' Related Pages
Diamantina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORY AND CARNIVAL IN DIAMANTINA (MG) - BRAZIL"
- "Beautifull, happy and hills"
- "Historical city in Minas with a great Carnaval"
- "deep into the highlands of Minas Gerais - Brasil"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Diamantina
- Hotels in Diamantina
- Transportation in Diamantina
- Warnings and Dangers in Diamantina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Diamantina
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Diamantina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Diamantina
Photos in DiamantinaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Peru Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Krakow Intro, 25 reviews, 66 photos
- Parati Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 22 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wieliczka Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Campos do Jordão Intro, 19 reviews, 13 photos