Recife Things to Do Tips by ThiagoRamos
Recife Things to Do: 57 reviews and 86 photos
Recife Antigo (“Old Recife”) is how it´s called the historic center of the city. The town grew around the port and, after the arrival of Mauricio de Nassau to Pernambuco, in 1637, it started to have more urban characteristics (Pernambuco was dominated by Holland from 1637 until 1654; it´s a chapter of Brazilian history known as “the dutch invasion”).
The region of the port is known as “Marco Zero”. It´s considered the landmark of the foundation of the city. After Port of Suape inauguration, in the 80´s, Old Recife entered a period of decay and the rich architectural inheritance deteriorated. There´s been some efforts to recover it since the 90´s and many old buildings have already been restored, such as the old stock exchange building and the old houses of Rua Aurora.
Parque das Esculturas de Brennand
Brennand´s Sculptures Park was inaugurated in 2000 as part of the celebrations for the 500th anniversary of the discovery of Brazil. The main sculpture is the Crystal Column, made of bronze and clay, with 32 meters high.
Francisco Brennand is a talented local artist, born in 1927. He is famous mainly for his work with pottery.
I had no time to visit the park, but managed to take some pictures from my catamaran tour. It seems very interesting and worth a visit. Pernambucanos are very proud of this place.
Rio Capibaribe and Rua Aurora
A good option to visit Recife is to take a boat tour along Capibaribe river.
"Catamaran Tours" offers a few options of tours. "Rio Capibaribe e suas pontes" (Capibaribe River and its bridges), "Recife e seus bairros" (Recife and its neighborhoods), "Ilha de Santo Aleixo" (Santo Aleixo Island), "Praia dos Carneiros" (Carneiros Beach) and "Ilha de Itamaracá" (Itamaracá Island). I took the one along Capibaribe River and found it very amusing. The price is R$30,00 (US$20).
Check www.catamarantours.com.br for more info.
Address: Cais das 5 pontas, Av. Sul
The "Twin Towers" of Recife
Paço da Alfândega is a new shopping center located at the city center (Old Recife). The original building dates from the XVIII Century and it was completely renovated, although some of the original structures were kept. Originally it was a convent, then it was turned into the custom-house.
The balcony, on the last floor of the shopping center, offers beautiful views of the Capibaribe River and Old Recife. Don´t miss it!!!
Address: Rua da Alfândega, 35
ThiagoRamos' Related Pages
Recife Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Boa VIagem - Recife"
- "RECIFE, my brazilian hometown"
- "Recife and Olinda"
- "Meet some friends in Recife"
- "Recife- A city worth visiting"
- "A big city that is off the beaten path"
- "The name is Recife, but it can call Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Recife
- Hotels in Recife
- Transportation in Recife
- Nightlife in Recife
- Restaurants in Recife
- Shopping in Recife
- Warnings and Dangers in Recife
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lepoglava Hotels
- Diego Martin Hotels
- Pulau Terawangan Hotels
- Coscomatepec de Bravo Hotels
- State of Madhya Pradesh
- Saffron Walden
Badges & Stats in Recife
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Recife?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Recife
Photos in RecifeSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Peru Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Krakow Intro, 25 reviews, 66 photos
- Parati Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 22 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wieliczka Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Campos do Jordão Intro, 19 reviews, 13 photos
Latest Recife hotel reviews
- Boa Viagem- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Recife Antigo- 8 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Beaches- 10 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Olinda- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Instituto Brennand- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Carnaval- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Casa da Cultura- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Porto de Galinhas- 2 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Pottery Brennand- 3 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Santa Isabel Theater- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos