"What about truth or dare?" Truth or Consequences by DrexelDragon

Truth or Consequences Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 23 photos

Found it on the map

I had gone to New Mexico in the spring of 2003 for a 2 week job for work. When I got to the airport, I started looking on the map for the highway to take me to Las Cruces. In looking over the map, I saw a town on the map named Truth or Consequences. I thought it was a joke. I figured someone at the map maker decided to put an erroneous town in, like you know how software programmers will code in silly weird things for different programs if you do a certain keystroke. I figured it was something like this. Then I found out it wasn't. I drove an hour from Las Cruces just to be able to see the street sign myself. I figured I would see something like you see here.

The sign reads as follows:
Truth or Consequences
Population 5,219 ~ Elevation 4,576
In 1581, Capitan Francisco Sanchez Chamuscado took possession of this region for the King of Spain, naming it the Province of San Felipe. Significant European Settlement of the area, however, did not occur until the mid-1800s. Once called Hot Springs because of its curative natural hot springs, "T or C" in 1950 took its present name fromRalph Edwards' radio program.

• Pros:Cool name.
  • Cons:No one hardly lives there and it gets really hot there.
  • In a nutshell:Relic of an era gone by...
  • Last visit to Truth or Consequences: Apr 2003
  • Intro Written Nov 23, 2004

• danmike's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM

I think it's great that you drove all that way to check out T or C!!! It's a nice little town. Lots of art starting to happen and cool things to do downtown.

DrexelDragon

“You don't realize how green the grass is until you've been to the other side...”

Badges & Stats in Truth or Consequences

Have you been to Truth or Consequences?

Latest Activity in Truth or Consequences