Dublin Nightlife Tips by DrexelDragon
Dublin Nightlife: 463 reviews and 490 photos
First of all, Dublin is a huge tourist city. I did not realize this until the first time I crossed the Liffey on O'Connel St. There are germans, japanese, spanish, yanks like myself...you name it, they're there. Then there's the Stag and Hen parties. So, the crowds in the temple bar area can be quite mixed, and it certainly seemed to be the case at Farrington's. There were quite a few portuguese, along with mostly brits and yankees. This is a tourist trap in the biggest tourist trap of Ireland, so you have been forewarned.
I got there early to have a good spot for the final game between Greece and Portugal. I had a seat at the end of the bar in the room with the entrance from the street corner. This room is small to medium in size with a nice wooden bar along the length of it. The other room is larger, and there is a bar in there as well.
I would not recommend getting the Bulmer's Extra Cold on draught here, or perhaps anywhere. It was nasty. The bar staff also seemed to be cultural, because the two out of the three women at the bar I was at did not speak English very well. Yet, the entire barstaff was pleasant and quick.
I'd go back here.
Dress Code: Whatever you feel is appropriate for a pub in Dublin. So, yeah, whatever that is. When you figure it out, let me know.
Theme: Eating and Drinking
Good for a nite cap, and a place to be feasted upon by older, anxious women - at least it was that nite. Cozy place downstairs. Don't know if there is an upstairs, because we went in and straight down. I was a bit, shall we say, "happenstance" at the time as well. The 4 bottles of red at 22euro a bottle were very good going down -- the first time.
We had started off across the street at Keogh's drinking pints. There were 5 of us mainly that bought rounds. So when it came close to closing time, we headed out, and the guy I worked with was full of steam. Talking fast. Smoking cigarettes. Giving out bollocks as they say, and enjoying his nite out. And so it was his idea to go to La Cave (the e is silent). The 4 bottles of red that we drank (at this point there were really only 3 of us drinking still) were some kind of spanish wine. I can't fully remember the name, but it was something like Cabillero del Fiero or something. Anyway, we're down there and we ended up meeting some girls. As for myself, I wasn't feeling up to the task as my pints of Carlsberg WERE NOT MIXING WELL with the red wine. "Do not entwine the grain with the vine." I do not remember how I got back to the hotel. I remember on the way to St. Anne's from the Gresham on the north side of the Liffey that the walk was about 20 minutes. So, going back around 3:30 in the morning without a problem (that I know of) is just short of a miracle. Unfortunately for the Gresham, the bathroom paid the price as did my head the next morning and afternoon.
Sounds like a fun place right? Seriously, give it a look in.
Dress Code: No hats for sure. I wasn't haggardly, but one of the guys got in with trainers, jeans and t-shirt. Most others were well dressed.
Directions: Again, off St. Anne's and across from Keogh's. It's got a small neon sign that doesn't stand out much. Also, no door person that nite to indicate there was an establishment.
Keogh's is just off Saint Anne's. A great place to go with friends or to meet up with friends. It's small and used to be an apartment. Certain aspects, like the wood work and the upstairs front room, remain in place. Pretty popular with locals since it was packed and I met up with a local guy (who I was working with in L'derry/Derry) and his friends and their friends and their friends' friends, etc. etc.
It did not seem to be a college type bar even with its proximity to Trinity College. It was more of a college grad to mid thirties crowd.
Dress Code: Don't worry about it too much.
Directions: Off St. Anne's.
Theme: Eating and Drinking
More Reviews (9)
DrexelDragon's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- "The GREAT city of Dublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Central Province Hotels
- Curaçao Hotels
- Jamaica Hotels
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Ko Samet Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 12 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
- Posted in Travel Munich Forum "Re: Accomodation & Weather"
- Commented on one of IrishFem's Dublin travel pages
- updated a Dublin Travel Page "Water for Guinness DOES NOT come from the Liffey!!"
- Wrote a Review Walk the Liffey and its bridges about Liffey Bridges in Dublin Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk the Liffey and its bridges"
Photos in DublinSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Mykonos Intro, 26 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 27 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 39 reviews
- Thessaloniki Intro, 24 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Whistler Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Galway Intro, 14 reviews, 4 photos
- Greece Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Dublin Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Dublin hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Dublin Airport
- 466 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Trinity Capital
- 1112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Avalon House Hostel
- 166 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- The Glen Guesthouse
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- ABC Guesthouse
- 209 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Waterloo Lodge
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Lyndon Guesthouse
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Morehampton Lodge Guesthouse
- 1 Review & Opinion
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- O'Donoghue's Dublin
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- River House Hotel
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Uppercross House Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Jackson Court Hotel
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Avondale House B&B
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 20, 2013
- Kilmainham Jail- 67 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Trinity College- 137 Reviews, 199 Photos
- Guinness Brewery- 141 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Ha'penny Bridge- 51 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Temple Bar- 50 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Castle- 107 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Jameson Distillery- 41 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Christ Church Cathedral- 89 Reviews, 152 Photos
- St Stephen's Green- 59 Reviews, 117 Photos
- St Patrick's Cathedral- 52 Reviews, 116 Photos
See All Dublin Things to Do