Derry Things to Do Tips by DrexelDragon Top 5 Page for this destination
Derry Things to Do: 36 reviews and 66 photos
If you've been reading my other travel guides, I've been consistently referring to the town as L'derry/Derry. This is because it is more commonly known as Derry among the locals who are mostly Catholic. The protestants, who are many in number, refer to it by both names. Stringent catholics or those who resent the British rule will not recognize it as Londonderry. Yet, here I refer to Derry alone, because that was the name when the walls were built. It was renamed once British rule was established.
The walls are impressive. They are one of just a few thoughout Europe that are intact as well as tthey are. The city is quite proud of them and they work to maintain them. Unfortunately, I never did put myself in a spot to take any great pictures of the walls or their gates.
It only takes about an hour to walk all the way around while stopping to take in the views and read the signposts. Along the walls you can see the cannons that were placed for defense of the city. You have a good view of the Guildhall from the northside. The northside is also where the tower museum is, but I did not go due to reconstruction.
It looks ominous, but it's quite safe to view them
Contrary to popular belief, Bloody Sunday did not take place in Dublin or Belfast. It occurred in Londonderry/Derry. The murals are painted onto the sides of row homes in the area down the grass hill from the city walls. This area is also referred to as the Bogside. This is where the majority of Catholics make their homes, and the Bogside is also used to refer to the entire one side of the River Foyle. The other side is referred to as the Waterside, or the area in which the majority of protestants reside. The sign shows the significance of the tensions between the different groups involve.
The murals themselves were painted by a group called the Bogside Artists. The Bogside Inn is reputed to be home to a fine pint as well. I am pretty sure that I took photos of every mural there was there, so be sure to check my travelogues to see them all.
Directions: It's located in the southwest section of the city, and you can see the area from the city's walls where the grass runs down to the road.
More Reviews (25)
- See All Furnished Apartment - BEST!!!
- Odds and ends
- See All Airport - Flying to Londerry/Derry
- See All Mixed bunch
DrexelDragon's Related Pages
Derry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Stay in the Heart of Derry's Bogside"
- "Londonderry/Derry - My first overseas assignment"
- "So much history - it's part of the fabric"
- "Derry Trip"
- "Beautiful,historical and trendy Derry"
- "One of the Most Intriguing Places In Europe"
- "Eszter's Derry Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Derry
- Hotels in Derry
- Transportation in Derry
- Nightlife in Derry
- Restaurants in Derry
- Shopping in Derry
- Warnings and Dangers in Derry
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Sebastián Hotels
- Anna Maria Hotels
- Khorfakkan Hotels
- Lorraine Hotels
- Province of Pangasinan
- Tel Mond
Badges & Stats in Derry
- 27 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Derry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Derry
Top 10 Pages
- Mykonos Intro, 26 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry Intro, 27 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 39 reviews
- Thessaloniki Intro, 24 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Whistler Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Galway Intro, 14 reviews, 4 photos
- Greece Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Dublin Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.