"Arran" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Arran by elanis
Isle of Arran Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 378 photos
It might have been rainy and miserable when we left Glasgow, and indeed when we arrived at the ferryport, but as soon as we arrived on the Isle of Arran the sun came out to greet us. Brodick (the main settlement) offers the usual tourist attractions you'd expect on the west coast of Scotland, along with a fine cheese factory and a great brewery - which we stopped to investigate. If you're into walking then Goat Fell is supposed to be worth the climb, but I must admit I only gazed up at it from a bench outside the brewery where the beer was proving to be worth my attention.
Between rain showers (we weren't completely spared) we found a bus that took us across to the other side of the island, to a village called Blackwaterfoot. There we found a fantastic butcher selling organic local produce, we stocked up on breakfast goods and then followed a path that ran behind the golf course (one of seven!)
Drumnadoon Bay is the location of the King's Cave (where Robert the Bruce famously watched the spider climbing up the wall). We camped (possibly illegally) on the shore down here, taking care not to be intrusive to the wildlife - we saw seals and all kinds of birds of prey - and cooked some fabulous kebabs on an open fire.
- Pros:Easily accessible from Glasgow
- Cons:Can't rely on the weather!
This is a great place to camp! Seals for company in the evening and a beautiful clear view of the stars at nigh as... more travel advice
elanis' Related Pages
Isle of Arran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ARRAN SCOTTISH MICROCOSM?"
- "SCOTLAND IN MINIATURE"
- "A magical place"
- "Isle of Arran."
- "Map of Arran"
- "Isle of Arran"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Arran
- Hotels in Isle of Arran
- Transportation in Isle of Arran
- Restaurants in Isle of Arran
- Shopping in Isle of Arran
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Arran
- See All...
Explore the World
- Staten Island Hotels
- J P Coleman State Park Hotels
- Pulau Tioman
- Ausable Chasm
- Fort Delaware State Park Hotels
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Jones Beach State Park Hotels
- Province of Mindoro Oriental
- Southern Thailand
- Banepa Hotels
- Ruggles Beach Hotels
- Shenandoah National Park
Badges & Stats in Isle of Arran
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Isle of Arran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Arran
Photos in Isle of ArranSee All Photos (8)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Arran Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glasgow Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tignes Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Otley Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- France 1 review, 1 photo
Latest Isle of Arran hotel reviews
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013