"Restored Beauty" Dresden by debrannan

Dresden Travel Guide: 1,338 reviews and 3,991 photos

Envy of the Elbe

I had a chance to study in Dresden last summer and meet some wonderful people. It is a beautiful city day and night. There are many things to do in the surrounding communities as well in the city area. Be sure to plan to be here a few days so that you may take in many of the sights they have to offer. I'm looking forward to my visit in November.

February 13, 1945

Seems like yesterday with the scars exposed - preserving a tragic event. There has been a lot of rebuilding in the Aldstadt area but some of it has been left, maybe as a remindered of the tragedy. I heard stories from friends about their grandmothers, rubble women, who moved, piece by piece the destroyed buildings. You must see pictures of the destruction to understand how much work has been done.

Autobahn

Under construction this goes in one side of a mountain and out the other. A brewery sits atop one of the tunnel's exits. I cannot describe with words how much fun it was to drive on the autobahn - like nothing else I have ever done - foot to the floor - going, going, gone.

• Last visit to Dresden: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 20, 2004

• JourneyOf1's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 10:45 AM

I will definitely have to try Ali Babas the next time I am in Dresden, thanks for the tip!

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 7:01 PM

Hi! I just wanted to say that you have done so much with your pages here in a short time... As Chris Farley would say... "Awesome!" lol Best Wishes from North Carolina! ;-)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 6:38 PM

Gr8 intro & really interesting tips too. I still can't understand why this city was destroyed in WW!!.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 8:33 AM

Wow... excellent atmospheric night shot of Dresden!

debrannan

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Badges & Stats in Dresden

Have you been to Dresden?

Latest Activity in Dresden