"Paradise Found" Top 5 Page for this destination Bequia Island by Chinacat1969

Bequia Island Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 92 photos

This Must be Heaven.....

Aboard the Bequia express, we rounded into Admiralty Bay to a view of utter calm, beauty, and unmistaken Caribbean charm. Words cannot describe the feeling that washed over me as I saw the island I have waited three years to put my feet upon. Two weeks of pure bliss were about to take place...yes...this is the place I have been waiting to find.

Around the 9 square mile island

The island is very walkable. We stayed at The Seashells Apartment which overlooked the bay. We easily walked to Princess Margaret Beach, Lower Bay, or Admiralty Bay. The walk up was a different story. We generally called a cab to take us back up, although the people that live here use the "dollar bus" or their own two feet. This is why the locals look so good. They are in incredible shape. Especially the Rasta's. The beaches were the most prestine around. Light golden sand, blue clear water, and nobody hassling you to buy bracelets. Some people set up little stands in the shade. They asked you to stop by and have a look. Very friendly and not pushy.
On Sundays, the locals go to the beaches to hang out and party. They work very hard and long hours during the week. Yes these people know how to have fun on their time off. It was really great to be able to enjoy the day and people watch. The locals set up barbeque pits, mini bars, and huge sound systems. Reggae bounces off the cliffs and sets the mood for the day.
Admiralty Bay is where most of the action happens during the rest of the week. The restaurants, banks, grocery stores, fish market, veggie market, etc. are located in the Bay. It is a nice little area to meander and take your time exploring. The cemetary is located there as well as some amazing old churches. This is the heart of the island. If you need a cab, go to the "Almond Tree" and someone will be happy to help you out.
There are several other beaches on the other side of the island. Friendship beach is wonderful. You can snorkle by the pier or grab something cold and refreshing at Moskito's bar. Make sure to try out the swing chairs at the bar. We drove past Spring on our way to Industry Beach. Both are ultra remote. Industry is on the Atlantic side and the waters were rough. The beach is lined with coconut trees and is gorgeous.

So Many things to do...or not to do

Each night there is a designated place to go - sometimes called a "Jump-up". Thursday is the big night and the action happens at The Frangiapani. People dinghy in from their sailboats, catamarans, yatchs, whatever and people come from all over the island to hear The Elite Steel Band. You can also partake in a dinner buffet which is pretty good. De Reef, Coco's, the Whaleboner, etc. all have events also. Check the weekly schedule for times and places.
Of course just hanging out is a good option too. On a few nights we mixed up some rum drinks or drank cold Hairoun's on our balcony and watched the world go by.
One place in particular was really crazy. After the bars call it a night, The Penthouse is still jumping. That is one night I will never forget....find Soul Jah and ask him to take you....I love this island.

• Pros:The people, the beaches, no Apple tour guides
  • Cons:It is difficult to get to....hmmmm that's good!
  • In a nutshell:The ultimate caribbean hideaway island
  • Last visit to Bequia Island: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2005

• PaulMcGann's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 5:47 PM

You certainly captured the flavour of the island-heavenly. I hope you did'nt miss a trip on the Friendship Rose...but there's always next time

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 2:58 PM

Just heard of the existence of this island a few days ago on a travel channel... Looks like a lovely place! Thanks for the tips!

• Mar 23, 2005 at 2:49 PM

I'd die for a rum punch right now, maybe it would help with the economics studying!!!

Chinacat1969

“I'll try anything once!”

Badges & Stats in Bequia Island

Have you been to Bequia Island?

Latest Activity in Bequia Island