"Back to basics......SURIGAO" Province of Surigao del Sur by maple_air
Province of Surigao del Sur Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 308 photos
Mawmawan Islet....only one of the few uninhabited island dotting the mighty sea of Surigao. This one is a few minutes away from the tiny fishing village of Hinatuan.
One full-moon lit night in September, a group of us decided to spend the night here. With no electricity to rely on for light or for cooking, we were like little girl/boy scouts, we used dried wood,leaves and coconut husk to cook our food ( grilled fish and squid!!) We slept under the star-filled skies, bathed by the only light we had that night, moonlight.
It was a strange but good feeling to be there...in this small islet. No TV, no radio, no internet, no phone (landline, i mean) ,as surprisingly, there was full signal on our mobile/cellphones, despite being in the middle of the sea.
Early hours of the morning, when it was low tide, it was weird waking up and seeing different rock formations of all sizes extending from this islet to about a few hundred meters out to the sea. And in the quite and stillness of the night, we could actually hear music coming from the next island which is actually maybe another 15 or 20 minutes boat ride from where we were.
I could still feel the small pumpboat, rising up and down on the choppy waters of Surigao, on our way to this island. It was exactly how i imagined it, but nothin prepared me to the feeling of how it is to be there itself....one with the sky...one with sea...one with nature...one with God.
I love lookin at sunsets. This was probably one of the most beautiful sunsets i've ever seen. We all stood there in awe, at the same time trying to get the perfect picture through our cameras. While most certainly all of us were trying to capture that moment in our hearts and minds, hoping to preserve it there.
The sunset..the midnight moon bathing ( and skinny-dipping!)...the sight of a dolphin jumping...the sound of shrieks and laughter....the stillness of the night....the cold wind blowing at 2 am...the music from the other island....the company of friends.....Tattoed on my mind!
- Pros:uninhabited, uncorrupted, away from the mad world!
- In a nutshell:A treasure waiting to be discovered.....but might as well be left undiscovered!
Dive to your hearts content here in the Enchanted River. Make sure though that you are diving onto the deep part. The... more travel advice
We would have never reached this place if we didn't know anyone of the local. After travelling through god-forsaken... more travel advice
maple_air's Related Pages
Province of Surigao del Sur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surigao del Sur"
- "Back to basics......SURIGAO"
- "Britania Group of Islands"
- "Province of Surigao del Sur"
- "Surigao del Sur"
- "Britania, San Agustin, Surigao del Sur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Surigao del Sur
- Hotels in Province of Surigao del Sur
- Transportation in Province of Surigao del Sur
- Nightlife in Province of Surigao del Sur
- Restaurants in Province of Surigao del Sur
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Surigao del Sur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Surigao del Sur
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Province of Surigao del Sur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Surigao del Sur
Top 10 Pages
- Boracay Island Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bled Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Province of Surigao del Sur Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Athens Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Bislig Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Bohol Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos