"The end of the world" L'Anse aux Meadows by brazwhazz

L'Anse aux Meadows Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos

If L'Anse-aux-Meadows feels like the end of the world, it's because in many ways, it is -- it marks the westernmost point reached by Europeans until the voyages of Christoper Columbus; and it lies at the northernmost tip of Newfoundland Island.

Because of the landscape's rugged appearance, the entire place seems to have changed very little since the times of the Vikings. And, having travelled to Iceland, it was fairly easy to see some common point with the Icelandic coastline.

All in all, L'Anse-aux-Meadows is a wonderful site, and it is so far out of the way that it is unlikely to become spoiled, like other more accessible attractions. I hope people who read this page also have the chance to discover it one day.

• Last visit to L'Anse aux Meadows: Jun 2006
  • Intro Written Jun 14, 2008

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Bronson, I loved your excellent tips and could not agree more with your sentiments! I was 'screeched-in' in Fredericton, New Brunswick many years ago but I also consider my visit to this remote tip of Nfld. as one of my all time travel highlights.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Great L'Anse page. You had more time there than we did. We arrived at 3pm, checked out the building and reconstructed site, and were kicked out at 5pm.

brazwhazz

“Every place is interesting in some way”

Badges & Stats in L'Anse aux Meadows

Have you been to L'Anse aux Meadows?

Latest Activity in L'Anse aux Meadows