"True monastic peace" Ostrov Solovetskiy by brazwhazz
Ostrov Solovetskiy Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 22 photos
The Solovetskiy Islands seemed like the perfect offbeat destination to temporarily escape the hordes of tourists of Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.
We got more than what we asked for: located 2½ hours by ferry from the nearest village, "Solovki," as it is often called, seemed cut off from the entire world. And yet, it is a place of incredibly rich human history -- in only 3 days, we saw ancient stone labyrinths, a medieval monastery and fortress, former Soviet concentration camps and beautiful northern landscapes.
It was just what we needed before visiting Saint-Petersburg, some 18 hours away by train.
The photogenic Solovetskiy Fortress is the heart of the small village of the same name, both literally and figuratively.... more travel advice
There are no ATMs on the Solovetskiy Islands, and credit cards are seldom accepted. To avoid the unenviable situation of... more travel advice
brazwhazz's Related Pages
Ostrov Solovetskiy Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ostrov Solovetskiy
- Hotels in Ostrov Solovetskiy
- Transportation in Ostrov Solovetskiy
- Restaurants in Ostrov Solovetskiy
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostrov Solovetskiy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ostrov Solovetskiy
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Ostrov Solovetskiy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostrov Solovetskiy
Photos in Ostrov SolovetskiySee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 48 reviews, 46 photos
- Moscow Intro, 22 reviews, 50 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos
- Iceland Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Nassau Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- Quebec Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
No friends yet.