"An exceptionally nice place!" Hallstatt by coccinella169
Hallstatt Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 728 photos
Hallstatt is an Unesco world heritage site, located in Upper Austria. The area is called "Salzkammergut". It is a really charming and romantic little place. Due to it`s location at the lake (Hallstätter See) with the mountains close behind, they didn`t have too much space to build their houses. So it seems as if the buildings are almost pressed to the rocks behind. You can see very nice and very old farmhouses there and almost no modern buildings. For a long time Hallstatt was only reachable by boat.
Things you can do in Hallstatt are visiting the Salt mine, the 2 churches (especially the catholic one with the rather odd "Beinhaus") or go for a boat trip on the lake. I saw some very nice bed and breakfasts in the old farmhouses as well- for sure it is a lovely escape for a weekend. Of course in the surroundings of Hallstatt you can do lots of outdoor sports, like mountain climbing, hiking or swimming.
The only thing that disturbs me about Hallstatt is that it is a very touristic place, so I would suggest to visit it during the week to avoid the busloads of (other :)) tourists.
- Pros:just beautiful - and great surroundings as well
- Cons:too touristic for my taste
In Hallstatt`s neighbour community Obertraun you`ll find 3 caves to visit - one of them is the Rieseneishöhle. It is... more travel advice
coccinella169's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Hallstatt a great place to spend your time!"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 42 reviews, 59 photos
- Chile Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos
- Graz Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Conil de la Frontera Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hamburg Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue