"Und wenn der Schnee staubt..." Top 5 Page for this destination Heiligenblut by coccinella169
Heiligenblut Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 87 photos
Heiligenblut is a little village at the foot of Großglockner- which is with an altitude of 3.798 m Austria`s highest mountain. The whole area is a national park- Nationalpark Hohe Tauern. The area is on one hand great for skiing- you can ski in an altitude of about 2.900 m, which means that snow is guaranteed even if in the rest of Austria already spring has come. If you come in summer you just have to drive about 30 km to the Mölltaler glacier, where you can ski all year round. But there are a lot of other things to do for nature lovers- you can discover the national park and look if you see one of the numerous marmots there, you can climb the Großglockner or other mountains, do ice climbing or river rafting. In summer the Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße is a popular scenic route for bikers.
People in the area are of a very natural friendliness- be prepared that everybody is greeting everybody on the streets- even if you don`t know the other person.
A very nice thing to do in Heiligenblut`s neighbour community Großkirchheim is to go for an excursion on horseback through snow covered forests. I spent one half of the day on horseback and the other on the ski slope- it was just great.
Literally translated the name Heiligenblut means Saint`s blood. Legend has it that a danish prince called Briccius brought Christ`s blood hidden in a little bottle in his leg to Heiligenblut. After Briccius death the little bottle was found and is now kept in the gothic church St. Vinzenz. Needless to say that St. Vinzenz is a famous pilgrimage church.
- In a nutshell:Austrian nature and landscape at it`s best
St. Vinzenz is quasi the landmark of Heiligenblut. It is a very nice new-gothic church with a partly baroque interieur... more travel advice
In Großkirchheim, about 8 km from Heiligenblut, you`ll find the Hotel Schlosswirt. They have 15 Haflinger horses and... more travel advice
coccinella169's Related Pages
Heiligenblut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse"
- "Und wenn der Schnee staubt..."
- "At the south end of the Grossglockner"
- "SKI till you drop"
- "Historical Großglocknerstraße"
- "Heiligenblut, Austria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heiligenblut
- Hotels in Heiligenblut
- Transportation in Heiligenblut
- Restaurants in Heiligenblut
- Warnings and Dangers in Heiligenblut
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heiligenblut
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Heiligenblut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heiligenblut
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 42 reviews, 59 photos
- Chile Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos
- Graz Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Conil de la Frontera Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hamburg Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue