"Conil de la frontera" Top 5 Page for this destination Conil de la Frontera by coccinella169
Conil de la Frontera Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 153 photos
Conil de la Frontera is the perfect place for me to relax in Spain. I went there in 2004 and 2005, in total for almost 6 weeks. It`s strange, that the international tourism industry has not discovered Conil so far. Maybe it`s because of the wind and because the Atlantic sea is not as calm as the mediterannean. The wind is called Levante, and when it starts blowing you better avoid the beach, unless you have some beach tent to hide in :). Usually I suffered of an awful 2 days lasting flu after the "Levante attack" - I know all the farmacies in Conil :) . Most of the people who are on vacation there are from Spain. Costa de la Luz fortunately doesn`t have those awful big (hotel) buildings like at Costa del Sol. You`ll find some enchanting small andalucian houses with lovely decorated patios there, with old people sitting outside watching what`s going on on the streets :). There isn`t too much vegetation, the landscape already reminds a bit of Northern Africa, while at Costa del Sol they do artificial irrigation, so everything is green. Did I mention that Conil has beaches of a total length of about 14 km? :) And the best thing is that those beaches aren`t crowed, not even in high season.
Conil has a very exhausting nightlife :)- at least till the end of August. Usually you start with having dinner at around 10 p.m. There are some excellent small restaurants (which aren`t expensive at all) in the Old Town of Conil. They just put a few tables and chairs on the street and there you go. We usually went out for dinner in a group of people, and ordered all kind of seafood and tapas, so that everybody could try everything. The typical drink in this part of Spain is the "tinto de verano"- a light red vine mixed with lemonade and with a piece of lemon and ice cubes in it- actually people start drinking this already in the afternoon at the beach. You won`t get drunk of it, it is rather light. Around 00:30 a.m. people start going to bars, when I was there we usually went to La Cochera or to Luna, which were very nice, because they were open air bars in andalucian courtyards. Another nice one was La Botellita, which was tiny, playing super loud spanish music and all the people were dancing.
The best thing you can do is to rent a car- from Conil the major attraction in Andalucia are easily accessible. The lovely pueblo blanco Vejer de la frontera is close by, as well as Cádiz, which is supposably the oldest city of the occident. Jerez de la frontera is a very nice city too- you could visit a Sherry (=Jerez) Bodega there or the Real escuela andaluza del arte ecuestre to see the horses- at a much cheaper price than in Vienna by the way :). Sevilla is about 2 hours by car. Close by are Tarifa- the windsurf capital :) - from there you can take the ferry to Tanger in Morocco, or Gibraltar. All those places are reachable by bus as well.
Regarding accomodation- there are aren`t too many hotels in Conil. Most people going there rent apartments or houses. Usually the buildings have nice roof terraces. In the month of August it is reccomendable to reserve your accomodation in advance, it is almost impossible to find a free room then.
- Pros:Great beach, great nightlife, great area
- Cons:nothing but the Levante
- In a nutshell:One day I´m going to buy a house there :)
This is the bar where most of the language students meet in the afternoon.It`s a great way to kill time, just sitting... more travel advice
In this area of Spain blows from time to time a very strong wind called Levante, that`s why it is windsurfer`s paradise.... more travel advice
coccinella169's Related Pages
Conil de la Frontera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unspoiled beaches of unbeleivable beauty"
- "Conil de la frontera"
- "under constructiion"
- "Crystal Clear Altantic Water, Amazing Sunsets"
- "Conil de la Frontera"
- "Conil - Unspoilt Spanish Seaside Town"
- "Conil de la Frontera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Conil de la Frontera
- Hotels in Conil de la Frontera
- Transportation in Conil de la Frontera
- Nightlife in Conil de la Frontera
- Restaurants in Conil de la Frontera
- Shopping in Conil de la Frontera
- Warnings and Dangers in Conil de la Frontera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Conil de la Frontera
- 12 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Conil de la Frontera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Conil de la Frontera
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 42 reviews, 59 photos
- Chile Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos
- Graz Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Conil de la Frontera Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hamburg Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue