"THE PLACE THAT TIME (AND TOURISTS) FORGOT..." Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands by Siddha3th

DREAM CHILDHOOD BLUES

The Andamans are a secluded group of more than five hundred islands, situated in haunting isolation in the Bay of Bengal portion of the Indian Ocean. This place has always held a special pull for me, since my grand-parents called this far-flung Paradise home, and this is where my mother spent most of her childhood. There are extremes to be explored here, from sandy white beaches to hilly mountaineous terrain. There's also miles and miles left to be unexplored, especially in the Nicobar Islands, where vast swathes lie virtually uninhabited. All in all it's a remarkably dreamy place, blessed with plenty of that ocean charm which is the sole possession of coastal places.

... OF FLASHBACKS & PHOTOGRAPHS

You'll have to forgive me, my memory's a little hazy here. I've visited the Andmans thrice, with the last time being in 2002. I'm not good with the names and details of places here, since I was always more occupied with 'feeling' the place than documenting it. What I do have are these little memory gems, which will hopefully be enough.

PORT OF CALL

The Capital of the Andaman Islands is Port Blair - focal part of the area and focal point of my scattered recollections. So what do I remember of Port Blair? I remember walking up hilly roads, with flowers gracing the sidewalk. I remember always sensing the ocean around, though it couldn't always be seen. And I remember the force of the full moon, bottling the vibe in a box of moonlight.

• Pros: Heart-sized waves, virgin shores, killer full moons
  • Cons: Dangerously lazy atmosphere, super-crowded Capital
  • In a nutshell: If you can find it, it's well worth it
  • Last visit to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2005

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Very interesting, thanks for the intro ;-)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Hi Siddharth! :) Beautifully described Andeman adventure! Must be magic! Now it makes me want to go there even more though it has been long on my wish list. Ah, love such islands! Sounds as a perfect destination for my trip by the end of the year... :))

• juliewong's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2007 at 7:29 AM

Good tips and great pictures

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 6:00 AM

Great page with excellent tips and beautiful photos. I've always wanted to go to the Andamans.

• ajayzener's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Siddharth, you have a really nice page here. I think I should be visiting Andaman soon. I loved the tips and the photographs.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Now I want to visit some of these unexplored islands, quite the secluded heaven. A very good job and beautiful pictures.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 11:08 PM

amazing place I actually knew not much about. excellent information & great reading. tks for sharing

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 5:35 AM

Thanks for sharing the shots I love Islands.

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 8:33 AM

Nice page and photos - I'd love to visit these beautiful islands.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 5:18 AM

This is a nice and relaxing place indeed :)

Siddha3th

“... there's a lot to be said for nowhere”

Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands

Have you been to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands?