"OLONGAPO, AND MANILA" Olongapo by rdw66

Olongapo Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 40 photos

DA VILLE

I WAS STATIONED AT SUBIC BAY NAVAL BASE MARINE BARRACKS 69-71 WHILE VIETNAM WAS IN FULL SWING. OLONGAPO WAS A ROARING TOWN BACK THEN. ESPECIALY WHEN THE 7TH FLEET WAS IN. ANYTHING MONEY COULD BUY WAS AVAILABLE. AND VERY CHEAP !! RIZAL & MAGSAYSAY DRIVE WERE LINED WITH BARS HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS. IT WAS DIRTY AND SMELLY. THE KIND OF PLACE ONLY A MARINE COULD LOVE AND CALL HOME. I MISS IT. AND CHERISH THE MEMORIES.

MANILA

FROM 78-80 I LIVED IN MANILA, QUIAPO DIST. TO BE EXACT. ME AND MY FILIPINO WIFE BOUGHT A RESTAURANT AND A 6 WHEEL DOUBLE DECKER TRUCK. I USED TO HAUL LIVE STOCK FROM CALABANGA, CAMARANIES SUR TO MANILA WHILE THE WIFE PRETTY MUCH TOOK CARE OF THE RESTAURANT. OIL CRISIS OF 79 HIT AND INFLATION WAS 40% OVER NITE. NO ONE COULD AFFORD TO EAT AT THE RESTAURANT AND I COULD'NT GET ENOUGH FUEL FOR THE TRUCK. WE WENT BELLY UP. I SOLD OUT AND LEFT. BACK TO CONNECTICUT. BUT I HAD A LOT OF FUN IN MANILA AND IN CALABANGA. E-TICKET RIDES IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE PANTRANKO BUS AND IN MANILA IT'S A TAXI RIDE. THE DANGER IS REAL !! HANG ON !!

• Pros:A PLACE WHERE ANY THING GOES
  • Cons:DONT WALK INTO DARK ALLEYS
  • In a nutshell:WARM WEATHER, HOT WOMAN, COLD BEER
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2004

Comments

rdw66

“fun in da sun”

Badges & Stats in Olongapo

Have you been to Olongapo?

Latest Activity in Olongapo