"Godalming - Winter 2004" alien_species's Profile
My home town is fairly small ( takes about half an hour to walk from one edge to the other ) and is located in a river valley surrounded by hills .
London is about 40 minutes away by train and about an hour by car using the 'A3' highway .
This is going to get complicated now, so prepare yourself, the church is located at the end of Church Street ...
and is close to the Star pub which features in the initial picture.
The High Street ( Main Street ) contains about 70 shops but Godalming is very well served in terms of bars, restaurants and coffee shops ...more than 16 in total.
For such a small town, this is unusual, and gives a 'sociable atmosphere' to the place.
This picture shows it very early on a cold Sunday!
Godalming's tiny town hall. Meetings take place in the upper section.
The 'pepperpot', as it is called, is visible at the centre of the preceding picture.
Just two minutes walk from the centre , the riverside walk offers views towards the residential hillsides and a clamour of ducks and swans.
During the summer black cows are scattered over the field behind the river.
A really 'special' place on a hill near Compton Village ... at the edge of the town.
Built by villagers of the village, in homage to the artist and sculpter of that name.
The Watts Gallery is nearby and displays his work.
An intimate, if somewhat chaotic gallery, with limited opening hours.
Famous throughout the world, Charterhouse school offers a specialised education to those that can afford it !
The buildings ( in a neo-gothic victorian style ) are spread over a huge area on a hilltop at the edge of Godalming.
Many famous names are listed!
The 'Withies Inn' is a startlingly beautiful rural pub with a roaring log fire in the winter ... and in the summer offers wonderful 'hidden' garden arbours ( surrounded by foliage ) which allow private discussions to continue late into the evening.
The pub is at the edge of Compton village which is 2miles ( 3 km ) from Godalming town.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Madeline Island
- Beaumont-Hamel Hotels
- Devils Island Hotels
- Banten Province
- Cork Hotels
- Pawleys Island Hotels
- Shades State Park Hotels
- Special Capital Region of Jakarta
- Marudi Hotels
- Nanoose Bay
- Province d' Agadir
- State of West Bengal
- Quezon City
- Brooklyn Heights
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 16 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Posted in Travel United Kingdom Forum "RE: RE: UK vs North American..."
updated their Profile Page "Godalming - Winter 2004"
- Commented on jalayne's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Godalming - Winter 2004"
- Wrote a Review Go to Godalming, a town 3miles/5k from Guildford! in Guildford Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Australia Travel Page "Australia 2003"
Top PagesSee All Travel Pages (2)
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos