"Yucatan's best kept secret" Isla Holbox by chica.julietta

Isla Holbox Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 117 photos

Chilled

This is the place to go to if you are looking for totally chilled out place. You can spend days here just lying in a hammock and watching the sun come and and then go down.

Shoes really are an optional extra (sandy roads with very few cars)

The ideal antedote to working in London - I don't think the word stress is in the dictionary here!!

I first visited the Yucatan Peninsula in 1999, staying in Cancun. This was my first visit to the Carribean and I boarded the plane to return home very reluctantly. I returned 6 months later and stayed in Playa del Carmen and since then have made regular trips every six months.

It was not until 200I that I saw the real Mexico, Holbox. I have now visited Holbox a total of 3 times, once just overnight in 2001 and then twice in 2003 for 2 weeks each.

What I like most about Holbox is it remains unspoilt by mass tourism - and long may to remain that way. It is paradise - Please don't visit

Unlike other places I have visited does not have a kind of clinical perfection about it. In the past, in my home, I have decorated furniture in a distressed style (Cracking, peeling paint) - this is how I can best describe Holbox and very beautiful it is.

• Last visit to Isla Holbox: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2004

chica.julietta

“Work is somewhere I have to go between holidays”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Isla Holbox

Have you been to Isla Holbox?

Latest Activity in Isla Holbox