"Gubbio, where history lives" Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio by andy-g
Gubbio Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 664 photos
Gubbio, is one of those glorious towns in Italy that was much more important yesterday than today. It's builded on a hill in Umbria, not too far from Perugia.
Founded by the "Umbri", an anchent italic population, it became allied of the Romans in 295 AC. Its latin name was Iguvium. The most important monument of that time is the Roman Theatre, few hundreds metres outside of the town centre.
In the medieval times Gubbio was an independent town with its council of "Consoli". You can see in the picture the "Palazzo dei Consoli", perhaps the most important building in the town.
The visit of the town can take two or three hours. There is also some good walk in the neighborhoods, from where you can have a good sight of the town.
- Pros:very nice, architecture, well preserved
- Cons:just a little bit touristic
- In a nutshell:a little pearl
Here's the sight if you stand in the square in front of Palazzo dei Consoli, one of the many sightseeing points in... more travel advice
andy-g's Related Pages
Gubbio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gubbio: a very proud, very pure Umbrian town"
- "A place apart"
- "Gubbio, where history lives"
- "The ancient town of Gubbio"
- "A Town with Great Character, History, Traditions"
- "One of our favorite Umbrian Towns"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gubbio
- Hotels in Gubbio
- Transportation in Gubbio
- Restaurants in Gubbio
- Shopping in Gubbio
- Warnings and Dangers in Gubbio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gubbio
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Gubbio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gubbio
Photos in GubbioSee All Photos (11)
Top 5 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 25 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Burma Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Morocco Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Isola di Ponza Intro, 3 reviews