"Mopti" Region de Mopti by jantichm
Region de Mopti Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 81 photos
Built on three islands connected by dikes, Mopti is the country’s major route intersection.
Peoples from many groups call Mopti home, including the Bambara, Songhai, Fula, Tuaregs (and their former slave – the Bellasha), Moors, Bozos, and Dogon.
Once a Bozo fishing village, it has the largest river port in what was the French Sudan and now has about 100,000 people.
Pirogues and their larger counterparts, pinasses, carry goods up and down the Bani/Niger River.
Mopti is the most strategically important point to visit the main attractions of Mali: Djenne, the Dogon country and Timbuktu. Transport is even possible to Timbuktu during and after the rainy season.
jantichm's Related Pages
Region de Mopti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The city of the fishes"
- "Mopti: very annoying river town"
- "Soft Mali"
- "Mopti in May is hot, hot, hot!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Region de Mopti
- Hotels in Region de Mopti
- Transportation in Region de Mopti
- Restaurants in Region de Mopti
- Warnings and Dangers in Region de Mopti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Region de Mopti
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Region de Mopti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Region de Mopti
Top 10 Pages
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Madrid Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Rantepao Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Toledo Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Aceh Special Region Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Kani Kombole Intro, 1 review, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Sumatra Province Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos