"Segou: the old capital of the kingdom Bambara" Segou by jantichm
Segou Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 75 photos
Segou is a relaxing city in the delta of Niger river. It's not far from Bamako (about 4 hours by bus).
The French took the city in 1892, using it as an administrative center for the Office du Niger, a colonial development scheme. The town's French influences are readily apparent in its wide, tree-lined boulevards. Most of the town's inhabitants of Ségou are Bozo, fisherman who have worked this section of the Niger since the seventh century A.D.
The most interesting of Segou is its calm atmosphere of small city.
Their environs also are very interesting.
The people of this ethnic group live in the borders of Niger in small towns of square and decorated houses. Its only economy is the fishing. By its knowledge of the river they have the monopoly of the transport by Niger and its affluents.
Bambara is the most numerous group of the country. They speak Diula and usually they are agriculturists. They live in compact villages of houses on marinates with terrace and barns. They are mainly in the center of the country. Their mosques of Sudanese style are true works of art, like their sculptures half animal half man.
There are interesting bozo villages around Segou. A boat is necessary in order to visit them more travel advice
Segou-Koro was capital of the eighteenth-century Bambara Empire, whose influence stretched from the Senegal River to... more travel advice
jantichm's Related Pages
Segou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Segou and the Niger River"
- "Segou: the old capital of the kingdom Bambara"
- "Textiles, Pottery and ancient Bambara capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Segou
- Hotels in Segou
- Transportation in Segou
- Nightlife in Segou
- Restaurants in Segou
- Shopping in Segou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Segou
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Segou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Segou
Top 10 Pages
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Madrid Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Rantepao Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Toledo Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Aceh Special Region Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Kani Kombole Intro, 1 review, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Sumatra Province Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos