"Rantepao: The Toraja" Rantepao by jantichm
Rantepao Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 297 photos
Rantepao is the largest town of Tana Toraja. Although Makale is the administrative capital, Rantepao is where you'll be able to find hotels, guides or transport. In fact Rantepao is the main centre for travellers.
The access to Tana Toraja is not easy, first you must flight to Makassar. From here the best way to get to Rantepao is by bus (or car). The journey takes about 8 hours (less if you travel by night bus). There are a lot of companies but you must check the buses because some of them are very old and uncomfortable.
Toraja is the name given to the peoples of the mountainous regions of the south Sulawesi, which remained isolated until the beginning of the past millenium. Their native religion is animistic, and it is characterized by animal sacrifices, ostentatious funeral rites and huge communal feasts. The Toraja only began to lose faith in their religion after 1909, when Protestant missionaries arrived with the Dutch colonizers. Nowadays 70% of the Toraja are Christian, and 10% are Muslim; the rest hold in some measure to their original religion.
Probably, Pa'piong is the most typical Torajan meal. Cooking takes place inside a bamboo tube. It can include chicken,... more travel advice
It is a good friendly mid-range hotel with a very relaxing atmosphere. A very clean and modern double room with fan, hot... more travel advice
jantichm's Related Pages
Rantepao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rambu Solo, Solo Traveller"
- "TANAH TORAJA - Sulawesi"
- "Tana Toraja - The Charming of Torajan Highland"
- "TANAH TORAJA"
- "Amazing Torajaland"
- "Rantepao - Tana Toraja"
- "Tomate: Torajan Funeral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rantepao
- Hotels in Rantepao
- Transportation in Rantepao
- Nightlife in Rantepao
- Restaurants in Rantepao
- Shopping in Rantepao
- Warnings and Dangers in Rantepao
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rantepao
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Rantepao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rantepao
Photos in RantepaoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Madrid Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Rantepao Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Toledo Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Aceh Special Region Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Kani Kombole Intro, 1 review, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Sumatra Province Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos