"Gateway to the Wurrumbungles" Coonabarabran by Joseph69
Coonabarabran Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 132 photos
After driving from Moree to Coonabarabran, it was a welcome relief to see plenty of vegetation and mountains!
Coonabarabran is situated in a beautiful part of the state of NSW, gateway to the Wurrumbungle National Park. The town itself is lines with beautiful trees and wide streets. Very nice town!
That evening, we decided to visit the Skywatch Obsertvatory, only 2kms from the town centre. It's well worth a visit to the obsertavory at night, as they host tours and you can view the planets and stars from their telescopes.
It's quite cold in winter, especially at night, so bring plenty of warm clothing.
Later, we had dinner at a Chinese Restaurant, which was of a good standard for a country town.
The following day, we went to the Siding Spring Obsertavory, about 25 minutes from town. Unfortunately, they don't allow visitors to look through their monster of a telescope, but it's a site to see the size of it! Its mirrors way a total of 13 tonnes!
From the observatory, there is a gorgeous view of the Wurrumbungle Mountains.
We didn't have time to go for a walk around the Wurrumbungle National Park, but by looking at its beauty, I'd recommend it.
- Pros:Gazing at the millions of stars
- In a nutshell:If you're into Astronomy, it's a must to visit!
Joseph69's Related Pages
Coonabarabran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once a booming tourist destination"
- ""ASTRONOMY CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA'"
- "Passing through Coonabarabran"
- "Gateway to the Wurrumbungles"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coonabarabran
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Coonabarabran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coonabarabran
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syros Island Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos
- Havana Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Miami Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos