"There ARE things to do in Hartford!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hartford by Ace43

Hartford Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 230 photos

What we DO have

As a local cab driver, I hear all the time how this place is dead & there's nothing to do. 'Course, being so close to NYC & Boston, we may be the victim of an unfair comparison. Hartford is a LOT smaller than NYC, so get real & adjust your expectations! But we have dance clubs, sports bars, a "gentleman's cabaret", 2 gay bars, many kinds of restaurants, 3 places for theater, minor league and college sports, a Symphony Orchestra & Chorale, a venue for all kinds of classical music & other performances, a venue for outdoor concerts in the summer, the oldest art museum in the country, historic sites, a park with a carousel, festivals throughout the year, etc. So gimme a break--what do you want when you say there's "nothing" here?! We have a good deal of the categories of things bigger cities have, just fewer choices within those categories.

What we WILL have

As I drove around taking pictures for this site, I realized just how much construction is going on downtown, making it difficult to get good pics. Trumbull St., only 4 blocks long, has 2 places being constructed, deconstructed, or reconstructed! The Civic Center is being rebuilt, I believe to be a mixture of residential & commercial use, as well as it's colliseum/exhibition hall use (which is still useable while they reconstruct the outside). The other one is a new apartment building being built on a former vacant lot, so that will be good when completed. The Atheneum area on Main St. also is having work done & is covered in scaffolding (the Atheneum is still open, though). And there is the major Adriaen's Landing construction project over by the river by the Founders Bridge--the hotel/convention center has been completed, but the science center is just getting started.

• Pros:A mixture of architectural styles; history
  • Cons:Drugs, shootings, sluggish economy, too many empty sites
  • In a nutshell:This phoenix (small "p"--not the insurance co.!) is having difficulty rising again, but is working at it!
  • Last visit to Hartford: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2006

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Good to see your tips on Hartford, I grew up there. see our West Hartford page! John and Gail in NJ

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 8:47 PM

It seem to me that this is a very interesting place to visit will put it on my wish list of thing to do...Donna :o)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2004 at 5:44 PM

I know I would love to see Mark Twain's house...and sit on the lawn to read his books. Hope you'll give us more about Hartford. I'm curious now.

Ace43 Works Here!

Badges & Stats in Hartford

Have you been to Hartford?

Friends