"There ARE things to do in Hartford!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hartford by Ace43
Hartford Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 236 photos
As a local cab driver, I hear all the time how this place is dead & there's nothing to do. 'Course, being so close to NYC & Boston, we may be the victim of an unfair comparison. Hartford is a LOT smaller than NYC, so get real & adjust your expectations! But we have dance clubs, sports bars, a "gentleman's cabaret", 2 gay bars, many kinds of restaurants, 3 places for theater, minor league and college sports, a Symphony Orchestra & Chorale, a venue for all kinds of classical music & other performances, a venue for outdoor concerts in the summer, the oldest art museum in the country, historic sites, a park with a carousel, festivals throughout the year, etc. So gimme a break--what do you want when you say there's "nothing" here?! We have a good deal of the categories of things bigger cities have, just fewer choices within those categories.
As I drove around taking pictures for this site, I realized just how much construction is going on downtown, making it difficult to get good pics. Trumbull St., only 4 blocks long, has 2 places being constructed, deconstructed, or reconstructed! The Civic Center is being rebuilt, I believe to be a mixture of residential & commercial use, as well as it's colliseum/exhibition hall use (which is still useable while they reconstruct the outside). The other one is a new apartment building being built on a former vacant lot, so that will be good when completed. The Atheneum area on Main St. also is having work done & is covered in scaffolding (the Atheneum is still open, though). And there is the major Adriaen's Landing construction project over by the river by the Founders Bridge--the hotel/convention center has been completed, but the science center is just getting started.
- Pros:A mixture of architectural styles; history
- Cons:Drugs, shootings, sluggish economy, too many empty sites
- In a nutshell:This phoenix (small "p"--not the insurance co.!) is having difficulty rising again, but is working at it!
The main kiosk for getting bus routes & schedules is next to the Old State House on the north side. That general area... more travel advice
The wrap-around porch on the Mark Twain House has often been described as making it look like a boat. The Victorian... more travel advice
Ace43's Related Pages
Hartford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "History and Business"
- "Capital of the Constitution State"
- "Hartford - A Very Pleasant Destination!"
- "My 2nd Home"
- "There ARE things to do in Hartford!"
- "Passthrough City No More"
- "Connecticut's Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hartford
- Hotels in Hartford
- Transportation in Hartford
- Nightlife in Hartford
- Restaurants in Hartford
- Shopping in Hartford
- Warnings and Dangers in Hartford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hartford
- 26 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Hartford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hartford
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: VTmail help please"
- Wrote a Review Flamingo Inn just over the line... in Hartford Hotels
- updated a Hartford Travel Page "There ARE things to do in Hartford!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old fashioned carousel at an old fashioned price"
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Hartford travel pages
Photos in HartfordSee All Photos (10)
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hartford Intro, 26 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 23 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.