Budapest Off The Beaten Path Tips by MedioLatino Top 5 Page for this destination
Budapest Off The Beaten Path: 395 reviews and 713 photos
Jozsef Timar as Willy Loman
In the park of the new National Theatre there are some statues of Hungarian actor giants of the past.
There is a statue about Hilda Gobbi, Kalman Latabar, Manyi Kiss, Eva Ruttkai and others.
The one on my picture is Jozsef Timar. The statue is showing him playing in Arthur Millers "Death of a Salesman", one of his most remarkable roles on stage.
Iron stump - an old message wall :)
The original iron stump was a way for apprentices to leave behind a mark about the time they spent around or to express their feelings in a escret way. They just hammered a nail into it to leave their "message".
This iron stump is a copy of the original one, which was made in the 19th century and was there through more then 100 years.
You can find it on the corner of Iskola street and Vam street in the 1st district, under the Castle hill, close to Batthyany square.
One of the old statues in need of balance :)
The Ferenc Puskas Stadium is actually not only a stadium but a nice big area with other buildings and sport fields.
It's called the "Stadionkert" (Stadium Garden). Worth to visit for the retro (realistic art from the era of the socialism...:) statues around the running court.
1956 memorial in the Taban park
Another memorial of the revolution of 1956 in the Taban park, commemorating the heroes.
The orthodox cross in the Taban park
This cross was originally erected by the serbian greek orthodox congregation of the Taban area (the area behind the Castle Hill) in 1865.
The Taban's houses were demolished in 1930, until then the sorrounding of the Castle was looking quite rural with small houses and narrow streets.
The cross was re-established in the Taban park, between the Castle Hill and the Gellert Hill.
Maria Immaculata statue
The Maria Immaculata statue was made by Antal Horger and was erected, according to a pledge after the black death epidemic of 1724, by the residents of Buda.
Originally it was on the square which is now Batthyany ter and was moved to Irma ter in 1834, which became Maria ter after the statue.
Maria ter is in the 1st district, you can easily find it by walking up on Batthyany utca from Batthyany ter (M2 underground station).
Something that does not sound very Hungarian...and why? Because it isn't!
Przemysl is located in southern Poland nowdays, but before the 1st world war it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
In a battle during WW1, numerous hungarian soldiers lost their lives there, this monument is conmemorating theri sacrifice.
The Lion was made by one of the old soldiers and was erected in 1932 at the Buda bridgehead of the Margit Bridge.
Oblique view on the terrace :)
Above the entrance of the Tunnel in front of the Chainbridge, there is a nice terrace where young people like to hang out during the nice summer evenings.
They climb out to the outer part of the terrace too, but if you do so, please be very careful! There have been some accidents over there in the past!
Bring there some wine or abier with some snacks and enjoy the view of the bridge and the traffic underneath you :)
The statue of Lord Rothermere
Lord Rothermere, an english press magnate of his time, founder of the Daily Mail wrote his article about The Trianon decision about Hungary in 1927, with the title "The place of Hungary under the sun".
This was the fiirst international article raising the issue of the humillation of Hungary with the Trianon agreement.
The statue located on Szabo Ervin ter (just off Kalvin ter, in front of the Ervin Szabo Library) with the little fountain was made in 1929 and was the first motorized well of Budapest.
One of the buildings: the CEU Library, Nador u. 9
CEU is a very international university. It's students come from about 60 countries, even though the biggest part of them comes from Central end Eastern Europe and Russia.
CEU's buildings are located mainly in the heart of the city in the area cornered by Oktober 6 utca, Nador utca and Zrinyi utca.
More Reviews (236)
- See All Programs in the city
- See All Critical Mass
- See All Karpatia - Tradition, quality, a bit too...
- See All Old trams
- See All Bonnie & Clyde - Gangsta feeling :)
- See All The Labyrinth inside the Castle Hill
MedioLatino's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "BIG, BUSTLING, BEAUTIFUL, BUDAPEST!"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 273 Reviews
- 327 Photos
- 728 Forum posts
- 145 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
Photos in BudapestSee All Photos (327)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 273 reviews, 327 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos
- Paris Intro, 32 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Batina Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Zamardi Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Ljubljana 1 review, 1 photo
- Reno 1 review, 1 photo
FriendsSee All Friends (59)
- Buda Castle - Budavar- 275 Reviews, 584 Photos
- Synagogue - Dohány Street Central Synagogue- 71 Reviews, 174 Photos
- Fisherman Bastion - Halaszbastya- 168 Reviews, 353 Photos
- Heroes' Square - Hosok tere- 136 Reviews, 296 Photos
- Szechenyi Bath - Szechenyi furdo- 63 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Opera - Hungarian State Opera House - Magyar Állami Operaház- 58 Reviews, 104 Photos
- St. Stephen's Basilica - Szent Istvan Bazilika- 136 Reviews, 319 Photos
- Market Hall - Grand Market Hall - Nagyvasarcsarnok- 46 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Gellert Hill - Gellert Hegy - Citadella- 105 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Parliament - Orszaghaz- 163 Reviews, 327 Photos
See All Budapest Things to Do