"Germany's oldest city" Trier by Beckhanne
Trier Travel Guide: 581 reviews and 1,454 photos
Trier is situated on the western bank, in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate near the border with Luxemburg. It was founded by the Romans in 16 BC under the reign of Ceasar.
This once Roman city has kept many monuments of that period, the most famous being the Porta Nigra, which is the best preserved Roman city gate north of the Alps but there are also an amphitheatre, ruins of baths and a basilica. With all that, it's needless to say that the architecture is very rich because different styles are to be found through the city.
Trier is also famous for being the city where the philosopher Karl Marx was born; you can besides visit his birth place and the museum calles Museum Karl Marx House.
So this is where the famous german philosopher was born. The house was built in 1727 in typical Trier baroque style. You... more travel advice
This is the pedestrian street in Trier which begins at the Porta Nigra and that goes to the "Grote Markt". I love the... more travel advice
Beckhanne's Related Pages
Trier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tribute to Trier"
- "Trier: Where the Romans left their traces"
- "Older than Rome !"
- "worth a visit"
- "The oldest city of Germany!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trier
- Hotels in Trier
- Transportation in Trier
- Nightlife in Trier
- Restaurants in Trier
- Shopping in Trier
- Warnings and Dangers in Trier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trier
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Trier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trier
Photos in TrierSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Malo Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echternach Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Brugge Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Trier Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Uccle Intro, 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ixelles 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Namur 3 reviews
- Dinant 1 review, 1 photo
- Brussels 1 review