"3-day trekking in Ourika Valley - Altas Mountain" Setti Fatma by Sambawalk

Setti Fatma Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 67 photos

Valley of Setti Fatma

Setti Fatma is about an hour drive from Marrakesh. There is good walking locally with hidden waterfalls across the valley. It is a popular place for day tripper, but this is a starting point for my 3 day trekking in Ourika Valley - Altas Mountain.

Arranged through the hotel Challah (14 Riad Zitoune Kedim Derb Skaya Tel: 044-44-2977), I joined a group of 6 teenagers for a 3-day trekking trip in Ourika Valley. The cost was Dh900 per person, inclusive of all expenses (food and accommodation in local villages). Picnic lunch was great as the guide cooked the Tajine in the river bed. Our small backpack was carried by the donkey or mill, so all I need was to trek and enjoy.
The trip was rewarding as it passed through various local villages, some of them do not have electric power supply. I could have closer contact with Moroccan people (or Berber people, if I am correct) and learn about their culture. The trip does not demand much physical strength, except for some parts we need to climb uphill. I would say it is fairly easy in particular you can enjoy the snow capped mountains and the landscape of the high Altas. Sit back and relax to enjoy some of the beautiful pics of the high Altas in the Ourika Valley.

Along the way we met up many local children. It was not easy to their pics and they tended to avoid camera. Anyhow I manged to get some of their pics. Some moving pics included the ones whereby girls were laundry and boys created their own vehicle toy by using a plastic container, no to mention the torn cloths that they wear. These make me feel how fortunate we are in the developed

We had couscous (another local Berber dish) on the second night of village stay. The host cooked a big dish of couscous so all of us (8 people altogether) shared one dish. Look at the pic and see how tempting it is. See the Travelogues for more pics.

Trekking in Ourika Valley - Landscape

Trekking in Ourika Valley - People

Trekking in Ourika Valley - Food and Sleep

• Last visit to Setti Fatma: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2006

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Lovely page Patrick and special way to see the Ourika Valley and people!!Good on you and thanks for the chance to see your lovely photos!Feb to May is also my fav months in Morocco - lovely light everything is vibrant and fresh like in yr pics!

• Nov 27, 2006 at 8:24 AM

good job!

Sambawalk

“Live life to the fullest”

Badges & Stats in Setti Fatma

Have you been to Setti Fatma?

Latest Activity in Setti Fatma