"Deadly bomb blast in Dahab - 25 April 2006" Top 5 Page for this destination Dhahab by Sambawalk

Dhahab Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 246 photos

The remains of the bomb blast

I visited Dabah on 29 April 2006, few days after the deadly bomb blast went off in Dahab. I arrived in the afternoon from Hurghada via Sharm el sheikh. In the minibus from the ferry to Dahab, there was one American and one Australian. While I was in Aswan, Luxor, and Hurghada, I met people who decided to cancel their visits to Sinai Penninsula due to the recent bombing incidents. I also met people who decided to continue their visits to Sinai and Dahab. Well here I was. I did one dive in the afternoon and walked along the promenade and noted that this place was quiet. Despite, there were some tourists and divers. I had to say a lot of restaurants were empty.

One of the fellow divers from Netherlands told me that she had been here for two weeks and she met other tourists who actually escaped from the bombing for one reason or another. She also witnessed the outflow of tourists from Dahab after the bombing. I did visit one of the bomb sites (as in the pics) and the buidlings were badly damaged. Still she contiued to stay and dive, and so were other travellers. Security has been obviously tightened and checkpoints were set up on the highway when entering Dahab. There were policemen with dogs around on the main road in Dahab. It seemed that visitors should feel even safer than ever. As for other cities in Aswan. Luxor and Hurghada, there were checkpoins on the main roads to inspect the identitiy of local people.

I believe it is a personal judement call to decide whether one should visit this place or not.

Security for the tourists

Security has been tightened up after the bombing.

A laid back Promanade

Some people say Dahab is Koh Samui (Thailand) in the Middle East. In my opinion, I think it is a close and good description. This place is quiet and nice.

• Last visit to Dhahab: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 10, 2006

Comments

Sambawalk

“Live life to the fullest”

Badges & Stats in Dhahab