"The oldest skyscraper-city in the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Shibam by Sambawalk
Shibam Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 82 photos
Shibam is a town in Hadramawt, Yemen with about 7,000 inhabitants. It has been the capital of the Hadramawt Kingdom for several periods of time. (There is also a town by the same name outside Yemen's capital of Sana'a. To avoid confusion, the town of this article is therefore often referred to as Shibam Hadhramaut.)
Shibam owes its fame to its distinct architecture, which now is on UNESCOs programme to safeguard the human cultural heritage. The houses of Shibam are all made out of mud bricks, but about 500 of them are tower houses, which rise 5 to 11 stories high, with each floor being an apartment occupied by a single family. This technique of building was implemented in order to protect residents from Bedouin attacks. While Shibam has existed for around 2,000 years, most of the city's houses come mainly from the 16th century. However, many have been rebuilt over and over again during the last few centuries.
Shibam is often called "the oldest skyscraper-city in the world" or "Manhattan of the desert", and is the earliest example of urban planning based on the principle of vertical construction. The city has the tallest mud buildings in the world, with some of them being over 100 feet(over 30 meters) high, thus being the first high-rise (which need to be at least 75 feet or 23 meters) apartment buildings and tower blocks.
Form Seiyun, you can take shared taxi for YR100 (30 mins) to Shibam. The taxi will wait for 5 pax beofre it starts off.... more travel advice
Sambawalk's Related Pages
Shibam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Towering Shibam"
- "Shibam Hadramawt"
- "The Curse of Unesco?"
- "The oldest skyscraper-city in the world"
- "Spectacular Shibam"
- "Wadi hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shibam
- Hotels in Shibam
- Transportation in Shibam
- Nightlife in Shibam
- Restaurants in Shibam
- Shopping in Shibam
- Warnings and Dangers in Shibam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shibam
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Shibam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shibam
Photos in ShibamSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Luxor Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Esfahan Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Shanghai Shi Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue