"World Heritage in Danger - Zabid" Zabid by Sambawalk
Zabid Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 63 photos
Zabid is a town with an urban population of around 23,000 persons on Yemen's western coastal plain. The town, named after Wadi Zabid the wadi to its south, is one of the oldest towns in Yemen, it was the capital of Yemen from the 13th to the 15th century and a center of the Arab and Muslim world due in large part to its famed University of Zabid and being a center of Islamic education. It was the capital of the Ziyadid dynasty from 819–1018 and the Najahid dynasty from 1022–1158. Today, however, it is at the intellectual and economic margins of modern Yemen.
Zabid has been declared a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO. Its Great Mosque occupies a prominent place in the town. The vestiges of its university can also be visited. In 2000, Zabid was listed on the List of World Heritage in Danger; the listing was made on the behest of the Yemeni government due to a state of poor upkeep and conservation.
The city retains much of the low defensive wall and also some of the original gates, including Bab an-Nakhi. more travel advice
Sambawalk's Related Pages
Zabid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World Heritage in Danger - Zabid"
- "The old capital of Yemen"
- "Zabid and Bayt al-Faqih"
- "Smells of Jasmine"
- "Across The Tihama Plains (cont.)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zabid
- Restaurants in Zabid
- Shopping in Zabid
- Warnings and Dangers in Zabid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zabid
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Zabid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zabid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Luxor Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Esfahan Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Shanghai Shi Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue