"Jame' Atiq Mosque of Qazvin" Qazvin by Sambawalk
Qazvin Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 169 photos
Archeological findings in the Qazvin plain reveal urban agricultural settlements for at least nine millennia. The name ?Qazvin? or ?Kasbin? is derived from Cas, an ancient tribe which lived south of the Caspian Sea a thousand years ago. The Caspian Sea itself in fact derives its name from the same origin. Qazvin geographically connects Tehran, Isfahan, and the Persian Gulf to the Caspian seacoast and Asia Minor, hence its strategic location throughout the ages.
The city today known as Qazvin is thought to have been founded by Shapur II, King of Persia in 250 CE, under the name Shad Shahpur, when he built a fortification there to control regional tensions.
Qazvin contains few buildings from the Safavid era, when it was capital of Persia. Perhaps the most famous of the surviving edifices is the Chehelsotoon (Kolah Farangi) mansion, today a museum in central Qazvin.
Sambawalk's Related Pages
Qazvin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qazvin, The Safavid Capital"
- "Qazvin - Safavid capital city of Persia"
- "Jame' Atiq Mosque of Qazvin"
- "An Old City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qazvin
- Hotels in Qazvin
- Transportation in Qazvin
- Restaurants in Qazvin
- Shopping in Qazvin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qazvin
- 13 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Qazvin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qazvin
Top 10 Pages
- Krabi Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Luxor Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Esfahan Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Shanghai Shi Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue