"Persepolis" Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) by Sambawalk
Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 260 photos
Persepolis was the ceremonial capital of the Persian Empire during the Achaemenid dynasty. Persepolis is situated some 70 km northeast of the modern city of Shiraz in the Fars Province of modern Iran. In contemporary Persian, the site is known as Takht-e Jamshid (Throne of Jamshid) and Parseh. To the ancient Persians, the city was known as Pârsa, meaning "The City of Persians".
The buildings at Persepolis include three general groupings: military quarters, the treasury, and the reception halls and occasional houses for the King. Noted structures include the Great Stairway, the Gate of Nations (Xerxes), the Apadana Palace of Darius, the Hall of a Hundred Columns, the Tripylon Hall and Tachara Palace of Darius, the Hadish Palace of Xerxes, the palace of Artaxerxes III, the Imperial Treasury, the Royal Stables and the Chariot House.
Admission IR4,000 (May 2008)
Ruins of a number of colossal buildings, all constructed of dark-grey marble from the adjacent mountain, exist on the terrace. Fifteen of the pillars remain intact and standing. Three more pillars have been re-erected since 1970. Several of the buildings were never finished.
The best kept reliefs can be seen along the staircases of the Apadana Palace. There are 23 different scenes showing us... more travel advice
Next to the Apadana, second largest building of the Terrace and the final edifices, is the Throne Hall or the Imperial... more travel advice
Sambawalk's Related Pages
Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "* TAKHT-E JAMSHID * THE THRONE OF JAMSHID *"
- "takht-e-jamshid ( PersPolis )"
- "The Amazing Persepolis !"
- "bas-reliefs and friezes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Hotels in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Transportation in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Restaurants in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Warnings and Dangers in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Alaska Cruise"
- Wrote a Review Staircases of the Apadana Palace in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Staircases of the Apadana Palace"
- updated a Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Page "Persepolis"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) travel pages
Photos in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)See All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Luxor Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Esfahan Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Shanghai Shi Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue