"Gonbad E Soltaniyeh - UNESCO World Heritage Site" Soltaniyeh by Sambawalk
Soltaniyeh Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 66 photos
Soltaniyeh situated in the Zanjan Province of Iran, some 240 km to the north-west from Tehran, used to be the capital of Ilkhanid rulers of Persia in the 14th century. Its name translates as "the Imperial". In 2005, UNESCO listed Soltaniyeh as one of the World Heritage Sites.
The central magnet of Soltaniyeh's several ruins is the Mausoleum of Il-khan Öljeitü, traditionally known as the Dome of Soltaniyeh. The structure, erected from 1302 until 1312, boasts the oldest double-shell dome in the world. Its importance in the Muslim world may be compared to that of Brunelleschi's cupola for the Christian architecture. The Dome of Soltaniyeh paved the way for more daring Iranian-style cupola constructions in muslim world, such as the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasavi and Taj Mahal. Much of exterior decoration has been lost, but the interior retains superb mosaics, faience, and murals. Pope have described the building as “anticipating the Taj Mahal.”
The estimated 200 ton dome stands 49 meters (161 ft) tall from its base, and is currently undergoing extensive renovation.
Admission IR4,000 (May 2008). It is a perfectly short half day trip from Zanjan.
After visiting, I was so hungry and stopped in this fast food restaurant to have hot dog. The food is alright. Together... more travel advice
Sambawalk's Related Pages
Soltaniyeh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great mausoleum..."
- "Gonbad E Soltaniyeh - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Dome of Soltaniyeh, Oldest & Greatest one in World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Soltaniyeh
- Transportation in Soltaniyeh
- Restaurants in Soltaniyeh
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Soltaniyeh
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Soltaniyeh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Soltaniyeh
Photos in SoltaniyehSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Krabi Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Luxor Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Esfahan Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Shanghai Shi Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue