"Galle Fort - A World Heritage Site" Top 5 Page for this destination Galle by Sambawalk
Galle Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 294 photos
The port town of Galle is Sri Lanka's fourth biggest town. In 1505, a Portuguese fleet bound for Maldives blew off course, forcing them to take shelter in the Galle Harbour. In 1598, the Portuguese built a small fort which was later extended. In 1663, the Dutch built the 36-hectare Fort, which is now a World Heritage Site.
Galle is a major port in Sri Lanka and the country's fourth largest cities. The old town or Fort takes up the south part of the city. It was affected by the tsumani in Dec 2005. It was said to learn that when I was having a cup of tea in a tea stall facing the bus terminal and asking about the effect of the tsunami, the tea owner pointed at the 3 pics of young ladies which hanged up on the wall and said their lives were taken away by the tsunami.
I was glad that when I visited in Feb 2006, there was hardly any trace in the Fort area and the city. I do hope the people of Galle should forget the past amd move on.
Galle said to be the famous Tarshish of the Bible is the Port where the Portuguese first landed in Sri Lanka. Fortified by the Dutch who ruled maritime Sri Lanka in the 17th & 18th centuries the city still retains the air of old Holland. Old Dutch churches and monuments with armorial bearings, well preserved fort and ramparts, imposing crested and monogrammed gateway dated 1669, many well preserved Old Dutch houses and narrow alleys still bearing Dutch names. One may make a pick of exquisite handmade lace, ivory carvings, moonstone jewelry and beautiful translucent tortoise shell ware, including bracelets, trinket boxes, combs - sometimes inlaid with silver.
The church was orignated in 1640. Its floor is paved with gavestones from the old Dutch cetemery. more travel advice
Sambawalk's Related Pages
Galle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World Heritage Wonderland."
- "Colonial Galle"
- "It aint half hot mum!"
- "Galle Fort - A World Heritage Site"
- "Galle & the beautiful coast"
- "Cultural gem in southern Sri Lanka."
- "GALLE - not much change since colonial times !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galle
- Hotels in Galle
- Transportation in Galle
- Nightlife in Galle
- Restaurants in Galle
- Shopping in Galle
- Warnings and Dangers in Galle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galle
- 10 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Galle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galle
Photos in GalleSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 71 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Luxor Intro, 18 reviews, 64 photos
- Zagreb Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Esfahan Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Shanghai Shi Intro, 27 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue