"Beach time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Unawatuna by Sambawalk

Unawatuna Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 150 photos

Time for beach at 4pm?

Unawatuna is a small beach resort overlooking the Unawatuna Bay. It has golden beaches, clear, calm waters and an offshore reef ideal for younger tourists who frequent its beach front cafes and guest houses.

It is located about 5 km east of Galle. A lot of travellers stay here due to promixiity of big city yet it is less crowded as Hikkaduwa. It is true Unawatuna is out of the main road and less polluted and dangerous than the former. I personally was disppointed as the beach is overcrowded. I thought it would be more relax and lay back. I don't recommend this place if you look for space and quieter environment.

During my day journey from Tissamaharama along the southern coast via Hambantota, Tangalla, Matara to Unawatuna, I found that there are many gems along the coast, including a very board and nice beach from Unawatuna to Mirissa.

See the TRAVELOGUE for the scenic pics along the southern coastal route.

Time to build friendship

I met a couple from Slovenia, the country that I visited in June 2005. We happended to stay in the same guesthouse and went diving together. What a coincidence. We had good chats and exchanged e-mails for future contact.

The world is small and we should live harmony and make friends whereever we are. Who knows I wont see them again either in Asia or in europe?

• Last visit to Unawatuna: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2006

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 10:31 PM

Nice pics and you got the Wella Dewala Road entrance to the beach aswell...gr8 work!

Sambawalk

“Live life to the fullest”

Badges & Stats in Unawatuna

Have you been to Unawatuna?

Latest Activity in Unawatuna