"When god created paradise, he created Palatinate" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz by Trekki
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Guide: 4,322 reviews and 12,800 photos
I must confess this beforehand – when it comes to Palatinate and Rheinland-Pfalz, I am completely biased. So you will find only positive and enthusiastic remarks, descriptions and suggestions for visits on this page. But then, I grew up here from age 2 to age 13 before our family moved to Siegerland. All the years I missed my Palatinate tremendously, but it was only just some years ago that I came back to visit my beloved region. To my surprise or maybe to my still biased eyes, Palatinate didn’t change much in terms of landscape and warm-hearted friendly people, but I found that it has changed much for the better in terms of – well – “marketing strategies”. Websites, brochures and books praise the picturesque villages, the historical relevance, and the countless activities in the so beautiful landscape and last but not least the very much delicious local products. The latter is something that fascinates me most: it seems that many Palatinate locals, people and businesses, returned to ecological life. I found that many young people took over their parents’ business and offer an even bigger variety of interesting products – chocolate, cheese, bread, herbs – whatever your heart and soul desires! Websites and books are full with seminars and guided tours about these delicious goods, herb walks, cooking lessons and mushroom picking for example.
Since 2006 I come to Palatinate more often. From where I live it is only a brief journey across Rhein (Rhine) River and it is my retreat for a really relaxed Sunday. I often cross the river at Worms or take the ferry at Nierstein and the moment when I cross the bridge with the magnificent pink sandstone gate tower or stand on the ferry, I feel it, I can smell home. And with a big smile on my face I recite the title of my old schoolbook “Die Pfalz, Dein Heimatland” (Palatinate, your homeland). In this case, I swear, the old proverb is fully justified: The grass is greener on the other side of the fence… er…Rhein.
I am happy to say that I even have “infected” most of my foreign colleagues who come on business trips. Even if they want to go to Heidelberg, I tell them that we will make a small detour before diving into the tourist masses … but after extensive Palatinate sightseeing they simply forget about their original wish and we mostly leave Heidelberg for the famous “next time”. However if “next time” appears and I ask them where they want to go, I can often place bets that they say “Palatinate”. Jo, my dear colleague from Australia, even honoured Palatinate by naming her young dressage horse “Golden Palatinate” after I showed her some of the gems this end of September. Alfredo, my Mexican colleague, recently stated that “hijacking Mexicans” in the way I did it was one of the best fun he had during his work stay. I took him to Bad Kreuznach, which is not in Palatinate but in so-called Nahe-Land (Nahe is also a river).
Oh and in case you might wonder about my page title – yes, I have used this three times by now, for Umbria, Bavaria and for Palatinate. But .. that's how it is for me. Who knows these regions might know what I mean. And those who don’t know – let me try and convince you that there is only one more state in Germany - Bavaria - more beautiful, picturesque, and full of happy and friendly people and delicious food.
But again…. I am biased.
“My Rheinland-Pfalz” here on VT
When I have started to write this page it was mostly about the Palatinate region. But the state of Rheinland-Pfalz has more charming regions, namely Upper Rhein Valley, Eifel, Mosel-Saar, Rheinhessen, Ahr, Hunsrück, Nahe on the left hand side of Rhein River and Westerwald and Lahntal to its right hand side. This is why I have expanded my excursions and discovery trips into the other regions and this is why I am constantly updating this page. Because the more I explore the state of Rheinland-Pfalz, the more I love it and the more I want to explore more of it and want to show its beauty to everyone.
I won’t write several tips per city in my to-do section but show them only in one tip. Who wants to read more about a single city or town is welcome to look at my individual pages. To make it easier I have made a => separate album with destinations listed according to the regions within Rheinland-Pfalz and links to the individual pages.
But already now I know that my page will inspire me to keep looking for interesting places I never heard of before. When I am finished with this page – most probably in approximately 3000 years from now.... - you will ask yourself if what I describe is really a Germany state.
You will find geysirs and volcanoes as on Iceland, Trullis like in southern Italy, old Roman villas like in the region around Roma, villages which live with and love their waterchannels like Venezia, jungles like in Amazon region, beaches like at the Mediterranean, and believe me, I will find more things to see which are very unique :-)
And in terms of people and local customs you will discover the real treasures of Rheinland-Pfalz: the people. One day you will encounter the famous priest with the pipe, a castle lord, a very clever confectioner, a Rhein River boat captain, a ferry master, vintners and many more.
This is my own treasure hunting.
My personal quest to discover hidden gems.
For @Virtualtourist, for you and for me :-)
At this point I would like to express my gratitude also to our local TV station SWR (Südwest Rundfunk), which, with the documentations, local news and programs, has given me gazillions of inspirations for my trips. Thank you guys of the best local TV station, I am looking forward for more every day :-)
I will use the German names in headings and reviews because you will likely see these on signs when travelling through Rheinland-Pfalz, so you should memorise them for a better orientation. But I describe their meaning so that you won’t get lost. Furthermore, I will often use the local names or terms of things, which is to introduce you to the local dialect that is simply cute, once you try and understand it.
Since my Rheinland-Pfalz writings have grown over the time, I have decided to list each individual review in a separate album. If you like, pick the ones that match your interest:
=> Rheinland-Pfalz reviews
What more to say than
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Picturesque villages, gorgeous wine, happy people, mystical rock castles, enchanting landscapes, marvellous hikes, unique villages and castles at Rhein River, legends and tales - Rheinland-Pfalz has it all :-)
- Cons:nothing !
- In a nutshell:You will get addicted and never want to leave :-)
! This is not really a warning tip – just a “be aware of” one. European Central Bank is in the process of issuing new... more travel advice
Bacherach is one of the many wine villages along Rhein River Valley, in my opinion it is one of the most charming ones.... more travel advice
- See All Ultimate culinary Palatinate delights...
- See All Peaceful haven in the Palatinate forest
- See All German-French farmers market in the...
- See All Excellent website with short movies
Trekki's Related Pages
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your vacations along the rivers Rhine & Mosel"
- "When god created paradise, he created Palatinate"
- "Castles in the air"
- "Rhineland Palatinate - Re-Discovered!"
- "Rhine - Palatinate"
- "Permanently under construction"
- "Land Rheinland-Pfalz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Hotels in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Transportation in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Nightlife in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Restaurants in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Shopping in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Subic Hotels
- Quezon City Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Laoag City Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
Badges & Stats in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- 283 Reviews
- 1,304 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 19 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Rheinland-Pfalz
- Posted in Travel Frankfurt am Main Forum "Re: Day trips from Frankfurt..."
- updated a Land Rheinland-Pfalz Travel Page "When god created paradise, he created Palatinate"
- Wrote a Review Careful: machines can't read new 5 Euro banknotes in Land Rheinland-Pfalz Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Careful: machines can't read new 5 Euro banknotes"
- Commented on one of Maryimelda's Land Rheinland-Pfalz travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (168)
Top Land Rheinland-Pfalz hotels
- Mainz Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 738 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 580 Reviews - 1449 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Cochem Hotels
- 217 Reviews - 459 Photos
- Worms Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 266 Photos
- Bad Kreuznach Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Remagen Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Kaiserslautern Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Bacharach Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 352 Photos
- Sankt Goar Hotels
- 113 Reviews - 454 Photos
- Bernkastel-Kues Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Wittlich Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 223 Photos
- Bingen am Rhein Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 284 Photos
- Bad Dürkheim Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 41 Photos