"Dedicated to Germany's shoe manufacturing past" Hauenstein by Trekki

Hauenstein Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 47 photos

Hauenstein is one of the cradles of German shoe manufacturing. All started early with manual shoe making and later on it developed into shoe manufacturing centre with 36 factories. Not much is left today, only shoe company Seibel is still active in Hauenstein. But a huge shoe centre with 24 shops invites all shoe crazy ones for extended shopping. These are open even on Sundays during summer (April to October). And then there is the German Shoe Museum, which Kate and I visited in September of 2011. Fascinating!

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.

• Last visit to Hauenstein: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 5:45 AM

What a fascinating museum! I would not have thought you could devote a whole museum to shoes but it seems that you can ;-)
    Although I am never sure what I think when I find a museum that depicts things I remember very well from my childhood as "history" - somehow my like should not yet feel that long ago!

• Oct 12, 2011 at 8:25 PM

cool history of the old shoe making styles!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Can't say I'm much of a shoe shopper but I know where to go if I'm looking for something well-made or perhaps to make me a bit taller. ;)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I seem to remember a big Lurchi, about 1 m tall, standing in a shoestore.And I remember reading the comic.
    Thanks for this trip back to childhood.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Fascinating museum, Ingrid! Haha, yes, I do remember those plateau shoes :) But never heard of Lurchi. He wasn't popular here.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2011 at 10:07 AM

This looks even better than the hat museum in Bad Homburg.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM

This new photo looks familiar. Hi from Sligo in Ireland from me and my friend. Kate

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Hauenstein

Have you been to Hauenstein?