"Monument Valley - May You Walk In Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park by Trekki

Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 1,124 photos

Navajo Land – Dine’ bike-yah

April 2009:
I am currently working on this page, because I wrote it ages ago and feel that it is very much rubbish text- and informationwise. And I miss the good old southwest so much that I will return as soon as possible, horray, red rock country!
Please be patient and wait until I am finished with the revamp.

......where harmony is present in each stone

No matter where you are in Navajo Land, you always feel the vastness of space, the boundlessness of the horizon. Mesas, plateaus, buttes, sandstone formations of any kind surround you in these magic golden - orange - red - pink colours, which even change their shades, depending on the angle of incident light -

- no other part in the Southwest can contribute so much to inner reflection, enrichment and beauty as it can Navajo Land.

With nearly 70.000 sqkm, the land stretches out most of the northeastern Arizona, into Utah and New Mexico. The land is surrounded by four sacred mountains - in the East it is Blanco Peak (CO), in the West it is San Francisco Peaks (AZ), in the North it is La Plata Range and in the South it is Mount Taylor (NM), all play an important role in Navajo religion.

Maybe the mind works like centuries of erosion,
The runoffs and channels mostly bone-dry and then flooded
With a wall of water out of the desert, itself absorbed
Almost instantly into the cracked ground and leaving
Only a thin layer of fine sludge like a train of thought.
Over time the larger formations appear, personality
And prejudice, a manner of speaking, assuming all sorts
Of fantastic shapes, climbing into the atmosphere
And achieving a shimmering air of grandeur and intent.
Of course, much is washed away that these may remain,
And the landscape of youth is ravaged beneath us.
Whatever is extraneous, or delicate, or less than tenacious,
Has less chance than a pack rat in the progress of ages,
Less chance than our own acts and inmost reflections
Stand in a lifetime of vanishing memories.
And so we are left with monuments, resembling so much,
To soften the harsh light into shadows and their hues,
To make something like beauty out of such earth.

By George Bradley.

The Land - the People - the Philosopy

Nothing can describe Navajo Land, its people and its religion better than the words of Ray Russell, Director of Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation:

MESSAGE FROM DEPT. MANAGER
Yá'át'ééh
The Diné journeyed through three lower worlds in various forms of being, faced by many trials and tribulations before they emerged into this world that we call Disoos, the Glittering of Sparkling World. We inhabit the land between the four sacred mountains bounded by the great rivers. The Holy People created this world for us from which we are never to stray and which we must always protect. The Holy People also live in this world, in scared places, on the mountaintops, in the canyons, and the valleys. The have power over our daily lives by requiring us to walk and stay on the path of Hozhoo (harmony). Each day our morning prayers are said toward the east before the sun rises. We express gratitude for our good life, for our livestock, for our land, and the wonders we live among. The prayer that we sing as we ask for the blessings of the Holy People was also ask for you, our guest.

May it be beautiful before me.
May it be beautiful behind me.
May it be beautiful above me.
May it be beautiful below me.
May I walk in beauty.

The Navajo people have a custom that has endured. Whenever visitors come they are always treated as honored guests. They are offered shelter, warmth and nourishment so they can continue on with their journey. The same hospitality we offer to you, and we hope that you enjoy and admire our world as much as we do.
Ray Russell, Director
Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation

(taken from their website: Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation )

About my Monument Valley Tribal Park page

As being absolutely thrilled by the Red Rock Countries of Utah and Arizona's north, and although having visited America Southwest several times - Monument Valley was and will always be the most magnificent and mysterious place on this planet for me (apart from the everchanging wild and windy beauty of Patagonia, but this is another story....).
I can’t even tell why.

It might be because of the beauty and majestic appearance of these buttes and mesas and spires in this otherwise flat land, it might be because of the colors, which are out of this world, and change so dramatically during the day and the seasons.
It might be because I feel miniscule or even infinitesimal in this landscape with all my joys and fears being absolutely unimportant and experience a special kind of curing during or after being there.

And it is because I admire the Diné, the Navajo Nation, who administer the land on which Monument Valley is, and whereof a lot of families still live their traditional life there.
My pages do contain a lot of tips, as I want to show it here with my eyes and feelings.
Writing my page, I am going to explain a lot about Navajo culture, about their way of life, their symbols, their traditions, and also some don't-s, which I kindly ask to consider and respect when you visiting the park. Remember, there are still families living there, which is the reason why there is only 1 self-guided drive, while other parts can only be explored with Navajo guides.
How would you feel if masses of people would comb through your backyard ? Please keep this in mind. Thanks !

I am currently working on my phrasings and correct typing errors...

• Pros:out-of-the-world landscape - very friendly people
  • Cons:you might never want to leave
  • In a nutshell:eternal beauty and harmony !
  • Last visit to Monument Valley State Park: Dec 1995
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2009

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM

A very informative group of tips. Well organized, easy to follow, informative, and, best of all, interesting. Beautiful, sometimes breathtaking, photographs.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Fabulous page! I love the Southwestern USA and the land of Monument Valley State Park is one of many unique, geographically diverse areas there. The history of native American tribes who have lived there is also fascinating.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I did not get this far but got to Natural Bridges area and its remote adventures were super. This was then on to Moab

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 4:43 AM

I see that you took a self-guided tour of Monument Valley. did you also do a guided tour there also? Hozhoni Tours sounds good. We plan to go there in the next few weeks & I'm not sure what way is best.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2009 at 4:43 AM

No I don't see the elephant! But I do enjoy the rest of your tips and the listing of the movies made here. I expect to see it in 52 days from now when I begin my vacation. thanks for the photos too.

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Thanks for letting me share with you as your eyes have seen it..The colours of sandstone have a real magic..great stuff

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2008 at 9:08 AM

I LOVE this page :)) Your photos, and your empathy for the Navajo people, are very special. You've transported me back to a magical place where I once thrilled to the sound of our Navajo guide chanting a traditional song which echoed around the buttes.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Thank you for sharing this dramatic desert odyssey with us... and there's even a Beer Stein standing in the sands ;~)

• Kristymamoo's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 8:33 AM

What an amazing page!! I have loved reading about your experiences in the Monumental Valley - pics are awesome!!! The USA never appealed to me before but thanks to VT my mind is starting to sway!!! Beautiful page :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM

A very creative page about one of the best Nature Miracles of the world. Thanks Ingrid for bringing me from the real Valley of the Kings in Egypt to the virtual Valley of Monuments (in the USA)! It looks like a very amazing coincidence...

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Monument Valley State Park

Have you been to Monument Valley State Park?