"Bryce Canyon – magic encounters with artist Earth" Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park by Trekki
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 588 reviews and 1,512 photos
I am currently working on this page, because I wrote it ages ago and feel that it is very much rubbish text- and informationwise. And I miss the good old southwest so much that I will return as soon as possible, horray, red rock country!
Please be patient and wait until I am finished with the revamp.
Thank you :-)
Bryce Canyon – so simple the name of this gorgeous National Park might sound – so thrilling, exciting, mysterious, soout of this world the scenery presents itself to the visitor.
Scientists can explain all what has happened here, from the gorgeous colours (from a chemical point of view) to the carvings and foldigs and erosions (from the geologic point of view) and to the vast flora and fauna (from the biologist’s point of view) – but all in all Bryce Canyon is a part of this globe, where the best artist of the galaxy – Mother Earth – has created a showcase of all her forces.
Bryce Canyon had been established US National Park in 1928 and covers an area of around 36.000 acres. It is located between Moab and Arches National Park (270 miles west of Moab) and Zion National Park (80 miles east of Zion). It stretches out in a north-south axis, around 20 miles long and between 2 and 6 miles wide, in the western part of Colorado Plateau.
A scenic road leads from the park entrance along this axis down to Yovimpa Point, with countlesss view points along the road. In addition, there are more than 50 miles hiking paths within Bryce Canyon, some are easy 2-3 hours round treks, some are longer hikes along the rim or deeper into the eastern part of the park. Also, horseback rides are offered, both for the shorter and the longer trails.
A lot of names around Bryce Canyon are originated from ancient settlers and native americans Paiute. For example, the plateau, from which Bryce Canyon is stretching out eastward, is called Pansaugunt Plateau – means home of the beavers. The most southern viewpoint, Yovimpa Point – means pine point. And finally the canyon itself was called unka-timpe-wa-wince-pock-ich - which means bowl-shaped-canyon-filled-with-red-
Ebenezer Bryce and his wife Mary, who have settled here at the end of 19th century, have called it with the less poetical – but practical – term “a hell of a place to loose a cow”.
- Pros:Oh so beautiful, so colourful, get off that car and walk to see the best :-)
- In a nutshell::-)
…. but now it's 3 a.m. in Central Europe - I am too tired now to write more on explaining how bridges and arches have... more travel advice
In addition to weathering, also chemical erosion takes place. Rain water can carry traces of acid. These dissolve... more travel advice
- See All Hiking Under The Rim
- Be preapred for all !
- See All Beware of the altitude !!
Trekki's Related Pages
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Hoodoos and Queens"
- "Bryce Canyon – magic encounters with artist Earth"
- "Don't Think Thrice, Bryce is All Right!"
- "Hoodoo's-NOt Boo Hoo's"
- "Colourful and Weird Hoodoos at Bryce"
- "Bryce Canyon National Park"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 16 Bryce Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bryce Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bryce Canyon National Park
- 38 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Bryce Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who's Brave Enough?"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Bryce Canyon National Park travel pages
- updated a Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Page "Bryce Canyon – magic encounters with artist Earth"
- Uploaded a Photo to "and more pictures along the trip"
- Wrote a Review (8) It’s also Bridges and Arches time ! in Bryce Canyon National Park Favorites
Photos in Bryce Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 57 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues