"Arches NP - Arches Sandstone Wonderland" Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park by Trekki

Arches National Park Travel Guide: 609 reviews and 1,580 photos

April 2009:
I am currently working on this page, because I wrote it ages ago and feel that it is very much rubbish text- and informationwise. And I miss the good old southwest so much that I will return as soon as possible, horray, red rock country!
Please be patient and wait until I am finished with the revamp.

Arches National Park – one of the most beautiful areas in Utah, modelled over the millions of years out of Grand Staircases’ Entrada sandstone.

The officials say that the park displays some 2000 different arches, among them Landscape Arch, the biggest one with a span of nearly 90 m, and Delicate Arch, the most photographed one.
But it’s much more to discover – the Fiery Furnace, Devil’s Garden, Windows Section, Courthouse – and last but not least the famous hike to the ultimate Delicate Arch.

It is easily possible to spend weeks in the park, without seeing all, as it is quite big with more than 76.000 acres (115 sqmi) in size. Arches NP Website has many suggestions depends on the time, one wants to spend.

However, I strongly recommend to spend minimum 1 full day, as you definitely will regret having spent less.Must see’s are easily reachable on the road which leads northward from Visitor Center, such as the Three Gosspis and Balanced Rock. The famous Landscape Arch is accessible through an easy hike, and the Windows Section displays a huge variety of all types of arches.

If you plan your visit, be aware that it can be extremely hot in summer, due to it’s high location at nearly 4000 ft and being an open bassin. Winters can be quite cold, however, it is less crowded. Spring must be the best season of all, as by then the desert plants will come to bloom, adding another mystic atmosphere to this beautiful spot.

Location, hard facts and history

Arches National Park is located just 5 miles north of Moab, a little town in the northeastern Utah, full of hotels, motels and campgrounds, completely dedicated to serve all needs for the traveller and lovers of Utah’s most fascinating geologic wonders.

The park was established as National Monument in 1929, and got National Park status in 1971. It’s open all year round, except Christmas Day (december 25), same is due for the Visitor Center.

Native tribes have lived in this region for thousands of years, hunting game and collecting plants as food and medical treatment. Some petroglyps and pictographs show of their living, the most famous being Newspaper Rock, on the way to Needles District of Canyonlands NP.

John Wesley Wolfe was among the first white settlers in Arches region, he built his log cabin and the corral in the late 1800-ies. The cabin still exisits, it is the starting point for Delicate Arch Trail.

If you like out of the ordinary reading prior to travel, I can highly recommend Edward Abbey’s “Desert Solitude”, a book written about his 2 years as seasonal park ranger in Arches, when still being a National Monument in the late 50-ies.

Geology

Different from Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley, the fascinating arches, pins and needles of Arches NP have mainly been formed due to a huge underground salt layer, which, unstable as it is, was plastically flowing and moving, thus pushing upward and starting the creations.

Weather – such as ice, water and extreme temperatures in this huge bassin – was doing it’s best in carving out the arch wonders, and is still doing so.

If you have visited some of my pages already, you will know that I have a deep passion for geology and thus know that I’m going to explain the geologic history in the General Tips a bit more in detail.

So if you like, please join me on my explorations of Arches NP, which have been put together from 2 trips – the first in october 1991 and the second – much more exciting one – in december 1993.

• Pros:colors - arches - geology - history - exciting landscape - exciting hikes - exciting views :-)
  • Cons:it can be bloody hot in summer !
  • In a nutshell:absolutely nothing - well, you might get addicted :-)
  • Last visit to Arches National Park: Jan 1995
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2009

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

It looks like a perfectly good page to me Ingrid - maybe a couple of minor typos and tidying but the pics tell the story and there's plenty of useful info and links. Amazing place, just a shame it's in Utah LOL

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Thanks dear John for having walked through Arches NP :-)) Haha, yes, that was long before I started to look after my texts. Please please: whenever you find a typo, tell me!!
      And yes, such a shame that it is in Utah :-) I'd love to go back one day.....

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Do not worry about redoing the words. The pictures tells it all and I will follow your guide as to what to look at in drive by,, or walk up to close in.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 9:53 AM

beautiful pictures

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Wonderful page with which to curb my impatience ;) Fantastic photos of the arches, especially Delicate Arch, and such informative tips. I realise how much I'd forgotten about my visit here in 1994 :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Absolutely unique place, I have never seen anything like that! Very interesting tips with excellent pics. Miracles of nature sometimes beat miracles of mankind. Thanks Ingrid for the virtual travel!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I love this page. The heat just comes out of the page and the colors are amazing! I hope you are well enough to unwrap yourself today! Warm hugs to you!

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 4:14 PM

You know that I am very fussy and have high standards... This page is absolutely fabulous. I think Delicate Arch is one of the most magic spots in the world :-) Sissi

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Great pictures!! Cant wait to see in person :)

• ray_d's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 5:51 PM

I was there in September 2006. Was hoping to get an idea on what others wrote so I can make my page different. I think I cannot say anything that you have not already said so I will not bother. Thank you, a lovely page.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 1:27 AM

Danke für diese schönen Fotos - das weckt Erinnerungen! Tolle Seite!!!!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Arches National Park

Have you been to Arches National Park?

Latest Activity in Arches National Park