"Heidelberg – a constant inspiration" Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg by Trekki
Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,030 reviews and 2,745 photos
Beforehand a serious remark:
Yes. I live close to Heidelberg and do bring friends and colleagues here quite often. However, I have not yet discovered many secrets of this wonderful and romantic city. So - seriously - I feel that my Heidelberg page does not deserve to be No 3 in Heidelberg's travel guide.
If you want to read a page about Heidelberg with much information besides the wonderful scenery, and more things to see than castle only, please make sure that you do read:
Christine's Heidelberg page. She knows so much about this lovely city and will show you places there you never have heard about.
Also, don't miss Jess' page about Heidelberg. She was born here and has a very local view on this marvelous city with so much insight as well :-) And she deserves to be No 1 of our Heidelberg pages.
I lived in Mannheim for a while, so it was just natural that I came to Heidelberg quite frequently. Also, from time to time I do some weekend tours to Heidelberg with my colleagues from abroad, so I learned that this city has a special spirit – despite the masses :-)
Of course I wrote about the famous Heidelberg Castle, which I visited up to now maybe 20 or 30 times. I like to stroll around, I like to see the city's and castle's faces during every season. Spring is my favourite, when the sycamore trees along Neckar River are full with their new leaves.
Heidelberg is quite famous for the castle, of course, but has so much more to offer, like the stroll along the banks of River Neckar, or even a walk along the famous Philosophenweg, which stretches along the northern bank of Neckar.
I have realized that so much is written about the castle here, but not a lot in detail. Also, I get the impression, that many visitors just go and see the courtyard and the big vat - which are beautiful yes, but only a fraction of the sights in and around the castle.
So I took the freedom and wrote more about the history of the castle, as well as about a tour of the castle interior - maybe this inspires further visitors to also book the guided or audio tour of its beautiful interior.
Oh, and I could not resist to write in detail about my favourite place in Heidelberg :-)
The German Pharmacy Museum (in my off-the-beaten tips).
And I will come back more often now and explore more of the hidden gems in and around town.
Enjoy - and please get inspired :-)
Date of writing: year 2006. No updates since, only a slight "polishing" of my wording which I felt was in desperate need of improvement :-)
My castle interior photos are from 2006 when photography was still allowed during the guided tour inside of the castle. This is no longer the case since approx. 2010. In September 2013 I asked castle administration what to do with my photos and they kindly granted permission that I keep them in my three specific reviews inside "Friedrichsbau" because I didn’t take photos of the paintings. These paintings are loan collections hence private and fall under copyright of the owners.
Thank you, castle administration!
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Café Gundel is an excellent option to stop by for coffee and cake after having walked down from the castle. I have read... more travel advice
When you want to visit the castle, you have several options: you can take the funicular, which leaves south of... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 28 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (152)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
Photos in HeidelbergSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 315 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 59 reviews, 286 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 84 reviews, 197 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues