"Heidelberg – a constant inspiration" Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg by Trekki

Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,029 reviews and 2,733 photos

...despite the many many visitors

Beforehand a serious remark:
Yes. I live close to Heidelberg and do bring friends and colleagues here quite often. However, I have not yet discovered many secrets of this wonderful and romantic city. So - seriously - I feel that my Heidelberg page does not deserve to be No 3 in Heidelberg's travel guide.

If you want to read a page about Heidelberg with much information besides the wonderful scenery, and more things to see than castle only, please make sure that you do read:
Christine's Heidelberg page. She knows so much about this lovely city and will show you places there you never have heard about.

Also, don't miss Jess' page about Heidelberg. She was born here and has a very local view on this marvelous city with so much insight as well :-) And she deserves to be No 1 of our Heidelberg pages.

I lived in Mannheim for a while, so it was just natural that I came to Heidelberg quite frequently. Also, from time to time I do some weekend tours to Heidelberg with my colleagues from abroad, so I learned that this city has a special spirit – despite the masses :-)

Of course I wrote about the famous Heidelberg Castle, which I visited up to now maybe 20 or 30 times. I like to stroll around, I like to see the city's and castle's faces during every season. Spring is my favourite, when the sycamore trees along Neckar River are full with their new leaves.

Heidelberg is quite famous for the castle, of course, but has so much more to offer, like the stroll along the banks of River Neckar, or even a walk along the famous Philosophenweg, which stretches along the northern bank of Neckar.

I have realized that so much is written about the castle here, but not a lot in detail. Also, I get the impression, that many visitors just go and see the courtyard and the big vat - which are beautiful yes, but only a fraction of the sights in and around the castle.

So I took the freedom and wrote more about the history of the castle, as well as about a tour of the castle interior - maybe this inspires further visitors to also book the guided or audio tour of its beautiful interior.

Oh, and I could not resist to write in detail about my favourite place in Heidelberg :-)
The German Pharmacy Museum (in my off-the-beaten tips).

And I will come back more often now and explore more of the hidden gems in and around town.

Enjoy - and please get inspired :-)

Date of writing: year 2006. No updates since, only a slight "polishing" of my wording which I felt was in desperate need of improvement :-)

My castle interior photos are from 2006 when photography was still allowed during the guided tour inside of the castle. This is no longer the case since approx. 2010. In September 2013 I asked castle administration what to do with my photos and they kindly granted permission that I keep them in my three specific reviews inside "Friedrichsbau" because I didn’t take photos of the paintings. These paintings are loan collections hence private and fall under copyright of the owners.
Thank you, castle administration!

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Intro Updated Dec 16, 2013

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2014 at 4:00 PM

This takes me back "a few" years; Wish I had my photos digitized when I had a scanner but perhaps I'll make it back one day.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Thanks Al :-)) Oh my, yes, this pre-digital life! I have many photos from these days, some scanned, some not.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Thanks for the tips

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Thank you very much Jim for having walked through "my" Heidelberg :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Me again, coming back for another look at your fine Heidelberg page. On your recommendation I went to the Pharmacy Museum a few years ago and found it really interesting, even though don't know much about chemistry.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Thank you dear Don for having walked through my revised Heidelberg page :-)) More to come in a few weeks. Oh and I am glad that you liked the Pharmacy Museum. And this reminds me that I also talked to them about the photos and have received some from them for use here (with mentioning their generosity of course :-)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Ah, I think you would like the Old Operating Theatre in London! Lovely page on Heidelberg :-)

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Thank you Kristi for having walked through "my" Heidelberg :-)) It is one of my oldest pages and I found that my texts were just too lousy. That's why I worked a bit on the page.
      Oh - and the Old Operating Theatre is one of my favourites in London!! Their herb collection is fantastic!!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Another interesting page!

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Thank you dear Dee for having walked through Hideleberg too :-)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Lovely page - especially thank you for the info about the guided tour. I am going to Heidelberg soon for a day (see my forum thread) and I will skip the tour, but now I have an impression of what it looks like inside :-)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Great info and tips Ingrid. We will be in Heidelberg a few days before we meet up with VT members in Karlsruhe. Regards, Karl

• babygrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Hey, another Monty Python fan. BTW. Thanks for the great info on Heidelberg. We're going next September, and I love preparing ahead. And yes, I rate every tip I read.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2009 at 3:01 AM

What better way to start exploring your pages than one that is closer to you. Despite your humble intro, the rating is well deserved for these very helpful tips - and for the glorious idea on how to recycle human waste! lol

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM

When you spot a Frau; up in Ruprechtbau; quickly duck for cover; if she throws a bucket at thou! // or maybe she just lit a ciggy when 'powdering' her nose that blew up the Krautturm???

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Heidelberg

Have you been to Heidelberg?