"« Saarvoir » vivre and laissez faire –" Saarland by Trekki

Saarland Travel Guide: 152 reviews and 464 photos

....and « Hauptsach’ gudd g’ess »

.... that’s Saarland, Germany’s most southwestern state and wrongfully very much overlooked not only by foreign tourists and travellers, but also by Germans.

The startements of the headings very much characterize life and mentality in this state, who lived so long under French government, and with it’s vicinity to France, still has a lot of … well, savoir vivre, to know how to live and laissez faire, live and let live.
The other term “Hauptsach gudd g’ess” might be even more important; it means something like “well, at least we did eat good”, and this is also influenced by the days as French protectorate.
Dining anywhere in Saarland is a gourmet experience, no matter if it is modern dishes or traditional ones.

Saarland is my place of birth.
I left it at the age of 2, but came to visit my grandparents and siblings on a regular base until I left school.
Unfortunately - due to so-called business in the job - I didn't come as often as I should have.

However, it's never too late, and recently I came back for visit to realize how beautiful it is.
Or is it just the realization of my roots ?

On my Saarland page, I will write also about it's important history in iron casting and coal mining
That's why I have placed the statue of the Iron Caster here on the main page - as it is part of my childhood, and writing about this will let me learn about my heritage, of which I am proud of :-)

• Last visit to Saarland: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2011

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2013 at 5:30 AM

love the advent wreath! the hikes sound fantastic, good find!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2012 at 7:17 AM

That's my sort of advent wreath!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

That's a great book you found. I like the sound of the hike's, hope you are able to do them sometime soon!

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Hi Ingrid, the Saarland was the last German state I actually visited, and it has indeed lots of nice & interesting places (Saarschleife, Hütte Völklingen, Prähistorium etc.). I`m going to start a Saarland page soon ..

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 3:56 AM

How wonderful to go trekking in the area of your birthplace. Looks like you truly enjoyed yourself. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Herrlich, der saarländische Adventskranz!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Is this your next target? It sounds like you are well on your way to organizing a trek there. Hope you'll be realizing your plans very soon!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 9:52 AM

An interesting page about the most unknown German land on VT! Only one rated page (of yours) and no one rated city for 5-top! I crossed this land once on my way to France and saw only the autobahn... Thanks Ingrid for sharing!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 11:52 AM

I should do more hiking, but I'm a wee bit lazy these days...

• Jun 8, 2006 at 2:09 AM

Just reconsidered the facts concerning german meals and realized I've bought a canned food with a taste of black-pudding in Büsum I guess. It was EXCELLENT...like your tips here ;-)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Saarland

Have you been to Saarland?