"Höchst, a nice retreat in Odenwald" Höchst im Odenwald by Trekki

Höchst im Odenwald Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 60 photos

Höchst is one of the major towns in Odenwald region, the legendary forest where Siegfried of the Nibelungs was said to have been murdered. It is a lively town which is ideal for hiking or sightseeing in the surroundings. There is Obrunnschlucht for example, a cute fairy tale hiking path with little castles and houses, ideal for families with kids. There is the remains of a Roman Villa. There is Veste Otzberg, with one of the best museums on local history and customs, lovingly cared of by Rolf Tilly and his wife. There is Breuberg with a castle on top of the hill, there is... so much more!

I have never been in Höchst itself, I mean I never stayed for dinner, lunch or even a coffee here. I only drove through when I wanted to visit one of the places nearby. But I felt sorry for Höchst as a location in our VT database which was empty until yesterday. Which, given Höchst's role as northern entry into Odenwald, is a bit sad. That's why I decided to add some sights and ... you never know, maybe one day I will stay here for lunch or a coffee and be able to add some more Höchst information to my page.

On a side note: this town is not to be confused with Hoechst near Frankfurt or the former chemical company Hoechst. These are actually written with o+e while the Odenwald town proudly has its dots on the o => ö.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Intro Updated Mar 8, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Sounds like an interesting area.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for making VT's first and only Höchst (Odenwald) page. I like the sound of that museum especially, with the little handicraft workshops to show how they used to make things in the old days. There is another Höchst that now belongs to Gelnhausen.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2011 at 3:33 AM

Now, having a look at all the pictures, I wish to walk the fairy tale path even more :)) The museum must be well worth visiting as well, especially for many little handicraft workshops showing life in the old days :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Oh, how lovely - the fairy tale walk has its own page :-) And Otzberg sounds an excellent place to visit too!

• Mar 9, 2011 at 8:51 PM

charming little page on a charming little place!!!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Höchst im Odenwald

Have you been to Höchst im Odenwald?

Photos in Höchst im Odenwald