"Lovely village and a beautiful rococo church" Hohenfurch by Trekki

Hohenfurch Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 24 photos

In retrospective this little church Maria Himmelfahrt was maybe the highlight during my three days visit of Pfaffenwinkel, Bavaria?s region with the highest density of fine baroque and rococo churches.
Hohenfurch was already a tiny settlement during Roman times, Via Claudia Augusta lead through it from Augsburg to Verona. The village has a little river, Schönach, and this adds to the charming impression I had of it. I think it is ideal for everyone who wants to spend some days in a charming rural part of Bavaria, because it is close to for example Schongau, one of the centres of Pfaffenwinkel. On the website of the town is a download section with six tour suggestions, partly hikes, partly for mountain bikers and partly for car tours. All these downloads are in German though.
Apart from the brilliant little parish church Maria Himmelfahrt which I visited there is another little chapel south of it, the chapel of St. Ursula, built in 16th century and dedicated to the patron of the log floaters. Location of St. Ursula Kapelle (chapel) church on Google Maps.

• Last visit to Hohenfurch: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

We found some Churches that we deceiving on the outside too! Beautiful page Ingrid!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Another stunning church - I love the pastel colours on the ceiling that rteally set off the rich paintings so well! I see just what you mean about icing :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Hi Ingrid, I see you?ve been touring Pfaffenwinkel ? which I think is a funny and appropriate name for such a religious part of the country. Great photos of that colourful little church!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

The church Maria Himmelfahrt is gorgeous! Nice page!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Hohenfurch

Have you been to Hohenfurch?