"Idar-Oberstein: gemstones and history unlimited :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Idar-Oberstein by Trekki
Idar-Oberstein Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 123 photos
Idar-Oberstein, the twin cities of Idar and of Oberstein, sits in the narrow valleys formed by rivers Nahe and Idar. Especially the Idar part of the town gained fame centuries ago for the mining of finest gemstones agate and jasper. Although the mining activities are reduced, the towns didn?t lose their attraction as gemstone centre. One of the mines is open to the public as tourist attraction and education centre for kids and adults. In addition, at Idar river a historical groundwood mill demonstrates the stone processing of the days gone. And then there is the German Gemstone Museum, a beautiful building with a marvellous collection of raw and finished gemstones.
During my childhood I was here quite often. But it was only recently that I have rediscovered the town. Once in July 2011 and one month later with Kate (@Maryimelda) on a tour through hidden Rheinland-Pfalz.
If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip => here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.
In addition to what I have written as of now, have a look at the possibilities given on The German Gemstone Route (Funny: it is a flyer published by the makers of Frankfurt-Hahn website :-)
This website has also a section about the town(s) of Idar-Oberstein with a ten minute video in English!! Highly recommended to watch!
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Gemstones, history, lovely setting
- Cons:It is quite far away from the main touristic sights in Germany
- In a nutshell:But - this should not prevent travellers from visiting! It is well worth the visit!
Idar-Oberstein is in easy reach from the major centres like Saarbrücken (Saarland), Frankfurt/Main, Koblenz and Köln... more travel advice
Idar-Oberstein and its surroundings is devoted to gemstones. This is obvious everywhere. Hotels have gemstone names,... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Idar-Oberstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Idar-Oberstein: gemstones and history unlimited :)"
- "City of Gemstones!"
- "A real gem!"
- "Not only gem-stones"
- "Idar-Oberstein is situated in the Mosel region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Idar-Oberstein
- Transportation in Idar-Oberstein
- Restaurants in Idar-Oberstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Idar-Oberstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Idar-Oberstein
- 6 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Idar-Oberstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Idar-Oberstein
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Features Today!"
- updated a Idar-Oberstein Travel Page "Idar-Oberstein: gemstones and history unlimited :)"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Idar-Oberstein travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to reach Idar-Oberstein"
- Wrote a Review How to reach Idar-Oberstein in Idar-Oberstein Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues