"Germany - my beautiful home country :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany by Trekki

Germany Travel Guide: 58,565 reviews and 175,584 photos

It seems I cannot get enough of it :-)

Often it needs many years or even almost half a lifetime and many travels abroad to learn to appreciate a home country. This is what happened to me in 2008 or so, after I have decided that it is time to discover my own country. I did start in the nearby regions, with visits to my beloved (Rhineland-)Palatinate, to some places south of where I live, to my dear old University town of Marburg and took many boat tours through the middle Rhine Valley. And every time I explored more I thought how ignorant I had been that I never really considered Germany as a destination for short or even longer holidays. It is beautiful, it is diverse and I enjoy every day I get out during a weekend and find more gems.
And by now, together with Italy it is my preferred country for any kind of holidays :-)

I won’t consider myself a typical German, more someone of European descent. Maybe because I was born in Saarland, a small state in western Germany. This once belonged to France, then to Germany, to France again, back to Germany, became autonomous for a while and finally decided to be integrated back into Germany two years before I was born. The famous Day X of complete integration and introduction of our old currency Deutsche Mark was a few days before I was born. That’s why maybe frontiers don’t mean much to me and why I can “adapt” to almost everything, provided I have my own little personal freedom and individuality.

So I try to accomplish the task to write about Germany. I will do my very best to try and convince you that there is so much more to Germany than Oktoberfest, Neuschwanstein Castle and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. But then of course I try to convince you visiting Neuschwanstein Castle because it is marvellous and holds so much history and legends.

Our country is full of magic little places and villages, of valleys and mountains and hills, of castles with mystic legends and sagas, of beaches, of romance and culture, of gardens and delicious dishes, of windmills and vineyards, of magnificent museums and half-timbered houses, of wonderful churches, of industrial heritage and of world heritage – in brief, there is something for everyone.

I am likely very slow in writing about Germany. In case you do not find what you are looking for please check the following pages from fellow VTers which I personally like very much :-)

Celeste’s (Weissdorn’s) pages about Germany.
I like her page. She was born in US, but lives in Germany since many years and her descriptions also tell how nice it is for a foreigner (well in her case, ex-foreigner) to walk past the beaten paths and open the eyes for new places.

Don’s (Nemorino’s) pages, if you like opera:
I'll guide you to his homepage because from there you can easily find your way to what you are or might be looking for. He is opera and music fan and writes the most incredible pages about places, where he saw wonderful performances. Also, his page about Hessen and Frankfurt gives you excellent views about the centre federal state of Germany and its secret capital :-)

What will you find here (on my page)?

To-do sightseeing and attractions:
To add a little bit of colour to the typical cities in Germany which can be found in almost every guidebook I will tell you about sights and places you might have heard of but also tabout places which are extra special but hardly known outside of Germany. I simply want to show you that there is so much more in Germany than these touristic centres and that you will definitely have fun too when you try and explore other beautiful cities, villages, landscapes and regions.
But of course the marvellous castles of King Ludwig II, especially Neuschwanstein Castle, shall not be missed, because these are what they are: beautiful castles, masterpieces of a mystic man :-)

Accommodation section:
In the meantime I have stayed at some places and those I like I am recommending here. In addition, I will add some general information about accommodations in Germany, depending on your travel habits (hotels, farm stays, castles, camping, youth hostels, all with overview and selection websites), about considerations in terms of arrival time, and the so-called visitor tax (Kurtaxe). More to come as I learn about the needs of visitors every day :-).

Restaurant section:
The majority of my restaurant tips are also general ones, about our food habits and special dishes during the year, about habits in restaurants, etc, so that you know how to move around and find your way through the menus, tipping, seating. But I also add some restaurants which I found extra special for the dishes and the ambiance.

Shopping section:
I will inform about good and reasonable souvenirs and try to draw away from the typical mass products (most probably not made in Germany….) such as cheap beer steins and other cheap things but tell you how and where to find real genuine souvenirs from Germany. I also write about the daily shopping, like department stores, farmers markets, opening hours etc, in case you stay in a rental apartment during your stay here.

Transport section:
I will describe our modes of transport and how to move around with car, train, plane and how to operate ticket machines, where to park (or where not to park) etc.

General section:
I saw so many questions being asked in the travel forum about topics, which are so normal for us Germans that we hardly think about. That’s why I write about shopping hours, shops, banks, health and safety, post offices, holidays, best time to travel, times to avoid travelling, how to find toilets and tourist offices etc.

Since my Germany page has grown over the time, I have decided to list each individual review in a separate album. If you like, pick the ones that match your interest:
=> Germany reviews

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Magnificent castles, rivers, food and villages :-) And people and traditions :-)
  • In a nutshell:Germany - irrestistible :-) Come for a visit and find out :-))
  • Intro Updated Jul 3, 2015

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I discovered by accident that car parking ticket machines in Germany can be helpful. I got hopelessly lost and could not find the car park. Whilst asking for possible directions it was pointed out to me that the machine gives a second part with the location of the car park. So I was quickly pointed in the right direction.
    On the other hand trying to use a railway station ticket machine to purchase a slightly different ticket took several minutes even with the assistance of 2 members of DB staff.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Oh, then they have improved some parking machine tickets. Good!!
      And ha, the train ticket machines ... drive me crazy too, although I should be able to understand them.

Thank you Alan for having walked through my Germany page :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Ingrid, I've just been re-reading your updated 'Things to Do' tips on your fine Germany page. This is great advice for first time visitors, and a reminder to me that even after 43 years in Germany I still haven't been to Schwetzingen or Lorsch. Schwetzingen even has a famous music festival that I have been meaning to attend -- 'maybe next year', as I have been saying for many years now.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Thank you dear Don!!! Well, we could visit Lorsch together when they have finished renovating the King's Hall :-)) And visit Schwetzingen's music festival :-)

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Lot's of good info ( and amusing commentary) on Germany.
    Thanks.
    We are making plans for a trip to Germany in May 2014..
    We were targeting the UNESCO sites for starters but were also looking for places to go on day trips.
    Now we have lots of "Off The Beaten Track" places to go .

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Hello Robert & Linda :-)) Thanks so much for your sweet comment :-)) Will it be your first time here? What do you plan to visit and how long will you be here? (send me VT mail if you like).
      And ... remember: Neuschwanstein Castle is not yet UNESCO, but they are applying (for all three of King Ludwig II's castles).
      But if you want to see UNESCO sites, make sure you also include Speyer - so beautiful, almost "Italian" :-)) And the cathedral is fantastic!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Hello,Ingrid! You have compiled a great page here! Thanks for your story!

• JuliaMac's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

thanks for so interesting information about castles...I like Castles and always visit them in my trips.

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

good morning ingrid!!! :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM

A lot of excellent and practical tips for every tourist and many of them I have never heared of so far, the +City-ticket is one of them ! And there are great culinary tips as well that made me really hungry !

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Wonderful tips Ingrid. Will want to try the liver dumplings and kartoffelpuffer when I come. And the kuchen and eis as well, please. Drooling already. Kate

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Hello, Ingrid! Thanks for your nice and comprehensive tips! Ich vermisse Deutschland ...

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Good to have a place to find the holidays since I guess I'll be off then too! Binge drinking in Germany? Say it ain't so or say it's just called Oktoberfest. ;)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Germany

• 4,442 Photos

Have you been to Germany?

Videos in Germany