"Germany - my beautiful home country :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany by Trekki
Germany Travel Guide: 57,198 reviews and 168,325 photos
Often it needs many years or even almost half lifetime and many travels abroad to learn to appreciate a home country. This is what happened to me, after I have decided that it is time to discover my country. I did start in my close surroundings, with visits to my beloved (Rheinland-)Palatinate, to some places south of where I live, to my dear old University town of Marburg and took several boat tours along the middle Rhein valley. And every time I explored more I thought how ignorant I was to have never really considered Germany as a destination for short or even longer holidays. It is beautiful, it is diverse and I enjoy every day I get out during a weekend and find more gems.
And by now it is my preferred country for any kind of holiday :-)
I won’t consider myself a typical German but more someone of European descent. Maybe as I was born in Saarland, a tiny little state in western Germany, which once belonged to France, then to Germany, to France again, back to Germany, became autonomous for a while and finally decided to be integrated back into Germany two years before I was born. The famous Day X of complete integration and introduction of our good old currency Deutsche Mark was 17 days before I was born. That’s why maybe frontiers don’t mean much to me and why I can “adapt” to almost everything provided I have my own little personal freedom and individuality.
So I try to accomplish the task to write a little compendium of Germany. I will do my very best to try and convince you that there is much more to Germany than Oktoberfest, Neuschwanstein Castle and Heidelberg. But then of course I convince you to visit Neuschwanstein Castle because it is marvellous and hold so much history and legends.
Our country is full of magic little places and villages, of valleys and mountains and hills, of castles with mystic legends and sagas, of beaches, of romance and culture, of gardens and delicious dishes, of windmills and vineyards, of magnificent museums and half-timbered houses, of industrial heritage and of world heritage – in brief, there is something for everyone.
I might be very slow in the sightseeing section. So if you end up here and are frustrated not to find much tips, at least I would like to guide you to pages about Germany, you should not miss :-)
Celeste’s (Weissdorn’s)pages about Germany.
I like her page very much. She was born in US, but lives in Germany since many years and her descriptions also tell how nice it is for a foreigner (well in her case, ex-foreigner) to step aside the beaten paths and open the eyes for new places.
Don’s (Nemorino’s) pages, if you like opera:
I'll guide you to his homepage because from there you can easily find your way to what you are or might be looking for. He is opera and music fan and writes the most incredible pages about places, where he saw wonderful performances. Also, his page about Hessen and Frankfurt gives you excellent views about the centre federal state of Germany and its secret capital :-)
I will guide you to sights and places you might have heard of but also to places which are extra special but not much known outside of Germany. I simply want to show you that there is much more in Germany than these mass magnets and that you will definitely have more fun when you try and explore other beautiful cities, villages, landscapes and regions.
But of course the marvellous castles of King Ludwig II, especially Neuschwanstein Castle, shall not be missed, because these are what they are: beautiful castles, masterpieces of a mystic man :-)
In the meantime I have stayed at some places and those I like I am recommending here. In addition, I have some suggestions where to look up places to stay, depending on your travel habits (hotels, farm stays, castles, camping, youth hostels, all with overview and selection websites), tell you what you have to consider in terms of arrival time and tell you about the so-called visitor tax (Kurtaxe). More to come as time permits.
My restaurant tips are mostly not about specific restaurants, but tell you about our food habits and special dishes during the year. Also I write a bit about habits in restaurants, so that you know how to move around and find your way through the menus, tipping, seating etc..
I will try and convince you that you should buy some nice souvenirs and not these mass made (most probably made in China….) beer steins and other cheap stuff but how and where to find real genuine souvenirs from Germany. I also write a bit about the daily shopping, like department stores, farmers markets, opening hours etc.
I will describe our modes of transport and how to move around with car, train, plane and how to operate ticket machines, where to park (or where not to park) etc.
I have realised that so many questions about topics are asked in the travel forum, which are so normal for us Germans that we hardly think about. That’s why I write about shopping hours, shops, banks, health and safety, post offices, holidays, best time to travel, times to avoid travelling, how to find toilets and tourist offices etc.
Since my Germany writings have grown over the time, I have decided to list each individual review in a separate album. If you like, pick the ones that match your interest:
=> Germany reviews
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Magnificent castles, rivers, food and villages :-) And people and traditions :-)
- In a nutshell:Germany - irrestistible :-) Come for a visit and find out :-))
! This is not really a warning tip – just a “be aware of” one. European Central Bank is in the process of issuing new... more travel advice
The Pfand or deposit system for glass and plastic bottles is widely popular throughout whole Germany, not so much for... more travel advice
- See All Tchibo: coffee & more, in case you...
- See All Ultimate culinary delights in Palatinate
- See All Rhein river romance: the fireworks
- See All Germany's alcohol laws (age, time etc)
Trekki's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port Dalhousie Hotels
- United States of America
- Gold Coast Hotels
- Algonquin Provincial Park Hotels
- Male Island
- Kuala Lumpur
- Hong Kong
- Riva del Garda
- Medina Hotels
- Playa de Ponce Hotels
- Lloret de Mar
- Eureka Springs Hotels
- Ho Chi Minh City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 874 Reviews
- 3,880 Photos
- 395 Forum posts
- 57 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A newbie to VT"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Germany tips
- updated a Germany Travel Page "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- Wrote a Review Careful: machines can't read new 5 Euro banknotes in Germany Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Careful: machines can't read new 5 Euro banknotes"
Videos in GermanySee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 57 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6982 Reviews - 15640 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4322 Reviews - 10033 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1609 Reviews - 4011 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 951 Reviews - 2159 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1466 Reviews - 3484 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1733 Reviews - 3744 Photos
- Leipzig Hotels
- 515 Reviews - 1102 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1105 Photos
- Mainz Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 738 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 932 Reviews - 3138 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 615 Reviews - 1596 Photos
- Hannover Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 2124 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 580 Reviews - 1449 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Flensburg Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 59 Photos