"Germany - my beautiful home country :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany by Trekki
Germany Travel Guide: 59,681 reviews and 179,997 photos
Often it needs many years or even almost half a lifetime and many travels abroad to learn to appreciate a home country. This is what happened to me in 2008 or so, after I have decided that it is time to discover my own country. I did start in the nearby regions, with visits to my beloved (Rhineland-)Palatinate, to some places south of where I live, to my dear old University town of Marburg and took many boat tours through the middle Rhine Valley. And every time I explored more I thought how ignorant I had been that I never really considered Germany as a destination for short or even longer holidays. It is beautiful, it is diverse and I enjoy every day I get out during a weekend and find more gems.
And by now, together with Italy it is my preferred country for any kind of holidays :-)
I won’t consider myself a typical German, more someone of European descent. Maybe because I was born in Saarland, a small state in western Germany. This once belonged to France, then to Germany, to France again, back to Germany, became autonomous for a while and finally decided to be integrated back into Germany two years before I was born. The famous Day X of complete integration and introduction of our old currency Deutsche Mark was a few days before I was born. That’s why maybe frontiers don’t mean much to me and why I can “adapt” to almost everything, provided I have my own little personal freedom and individuality.
So I try to accomplish the task to write about Germany. I will do my very best to try and convince you that there is so much more to Germany than Oktoberfest, Neuschwanstein Castle and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. But then of course I try to convince you visiting Neuschwanstein Castle because it is marvellous and holds so much history and legends.
Our country is full of magic little places and villages, of valleys and mountains and hills, of castles with mystic legends and sagas, of beaches, of romance and culture, of gardens and delicious dishes, of windmills and vineyards, of magnificent museums and half-timbered houses, of wonderful churches, of industrial heritage and of world heritage – in brief, there is something for everyone.
I am likely very slow in writing about Germany. In case you do not find what you are looking for please check the following pages from fellow VTers which I personally like very much :-)
Celeste’s (Weissdorn’s) pages about Germany.
I like her page. She was born in US, but lives in Germany since many years and her descriptions also tell how nice it is for a foreigner (well in her case, ex-foreigner) to walk past the beaten paths and open the eyes for new places.
Don’s (Nemorino’s) pages, if you like opera:
I'll guide you to his homepage because from there you can easily find your way to what you are or might be looking for. He is opera and music fan and writes the most incredible pages about places, where he saw wonderful performances. Also, his page about Hessen and Frankfurt gives you excellent views about the centre federal state of Germany and its secret capital :-)
To-do sightseeing and attractions:
To add a little bit of colour to the typical cities in Germany which can be found in almost every guidebook I will tell you about sights and places you might have heard of but also tabout places which are extra special but hardly known outside of Germany. I simply want to show you that there is so much more in Germany than these touristic centres and that you will definitely have fun too when you try and explore other beautiful cities, villages, landscapes and regions.
But of course the marvellous castles of King Ludwig II, especially Neuschwanstein Castle, shall not be missed, because these are what they are: beautiful castles, masterpieces of a mystic man :-)
In the meantime I have stayed at some places and those I like I am recommending here. In addition, I will add some general information about accommodations in Germany, depending on your travel habits (hotels, farm stays, castles, camping, youth hostels, all with overview and selection websites), about considerations in terms of arrival time, and the so-called visitor tax (Kurtaxe). More to come as I learn about the needs of visitors every day :-).
The majority of my restaurant tips are also general ones, about our food habits and special dishes during the year, about habits in restaurants, etc, so that you know how to move around and find your way through the menus, tipping, seating. But I also add some restaurants which I found extra special for the dishes and the ambiance.
I will inform about good and reasonable souvenirs and try to draw away from the typical mass products (most probably not made in Germany….) such as cheap beer steins and other cheap things but tell you how and where to find real genuine souvenirs from Germany. I also write about the daily shopping, like department stores, farmers markets, opening hours etc, in case you stay in a rental apartment during your stay here.
I will describe our modes of transport and how to move around with car, train, plane and how to operate ticket machines, where to park (or where not to park) etc.
I saw so many questions being asked in the travel forum about topics, which are so normal for us Germans that we hardly think about. That’s why I write about shopping hours, shops, banks, health and safety, post offices, holidays, best time to travel, times to avoid travelling, how to find toilets and tourist offices etc.
Since my Germany page has grown over the time, I have decided to list each individual review in a separate album. If you like, pick the ones that match your interest:
=> Germany reviews
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Magnificent castles, rivers, food and villages :-) And people and traditions :-)
- In a nutshell:Germany - irrestistible :-) Come for a visit and find out :-))
Among the large supermarkets in Germany REWE seems to be a very good choice for travellers because of a specific feature... more travel advice
Since December 2013, the petrol/gas stations must inform a section of the Federal Cartel Authority about their current... more travel advice
- See All Peaceful heaven in Bavaria: next to Wies...
- See All Car: Save money at Autobahn stations &...
- See All Tchibo: coffee & more, in case you...
- See All Rhein river romance: the fireworks
Trekki's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Germany - Home, sweet Home!"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 1,025 Reviews
- 4,531 Photos
- 723 Forum posts
- 69 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Release today - service may..."
- updated a Germany Travel Page "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- Commented on one of Dabs's Germany travelogues
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ridiculous price wars at petrol/gas stations"
- Wrote a Review REWE supermarkets with good salad bars in Germany Restaurants
Videos in GermanySee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 67 reviews, 304 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues