"Mannheim - so much more than industrial city :-))" Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim by Trekki

Mannheim Travel Guide: 204 reviews and 459 photos

Parks - Museums - Recreation - and History

Mannheim is a very beautiful hidden gem in the open land of Rhine river lowlands, and very easily looked over with such famous locations like Worms, Speyer and Heidelberg around.

It is still referred to as an industrial city, which is the truth (a lot of famous companies are located here such as Daimler and John Deere), but it has so many lovely attractions and a huge amount of recreation possibilities of all kind.

I lived here for a while (until commuting was too time-consuming for me), and I also grew up on the other side of the Rhine – I still miss it for it’s lively atmosphere, it’s beautiful nature around and it’s attractions.

Sitting in a café somewhere close to the market place on Saturday, with bags full of wonderful and delicious fresh food from the market – ahh, this was one of my favourite things to do in the city.

Or getting home after a long working day (and a lobg drive…), hopping on the bike and bike along Rhine river, cross the river or bike along the Neckar, stop here and there for a beer, ice cream or Flammkuchen… this was always fun and always new things to discover.

Or going “culture” and see operas in Rosengarten, learn about the industrialization in the (State) Museum for Technics and Work (Landesmuseum für Technik und Arbeit), or see the stars and planets in the Planetarium – exciting at anytime.

In the beginning, I will write about two of my most preferred spots, Luisenpark, especially the Butterfly House and the Technics Museum, and more to follow, as I will visit Mannheim more frequently now.
Maybe I can convince you to just come and visit this lively town, and not just pass it on the Autobahn or in the train.

And in the meantime, if you think, I am too slow in adding but want to know more about Mannheim, please look at my favourites here on VT:

Teresa for so many information and very nice tips about Mannheim and Don for his opera visits and other tips on Mannheim.
Oh, and not to forget Christine's writings, ahh, among other important and lesser known things, she writes about one of my favourites, the wonderful market :-)

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Mannheim: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2013 at 3:47 AM

For an industrial city, you found some nice gardens and the lovely Butterfly house, both which I would enjoy!

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 4:36 AM

I just checked your Mannheim page and the other pages you suggested with a friend who just learned about VT and who will be off to Mannheim for business next week. We wanted to thank you together. Pinar & Yücel

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Good page, Ingrid. I have mixed feelings about Butterflies being confined. I would love the Bookshops, though. And Farmers Market.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Was für eine interessante Stadt! Ich hätte es nie gedacht. Und ich mag deinen Schreibstil sehr... Vielen Dank für den Tip über Buch Kober!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Another 5-star page. Yum [the grilled Feta and the chocolate] Farmer's market and gourmet market both sound wonderful. Loved the Luisenpark and the butterfly garden..super photos.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 4:00 AM

I love such enthusiastic VT pages, which excite me to go to a place I would never have thought of! I would so like to shop in Südlandhaus & Buch Kober, eat Flammkuchen, and see the stars at the Plantarium :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 5:57 AM

I was really impressed by the number of interesting activities available in Mannheim - Luisenpark, the Industrial Museum and the Planetarium! It certainly looks like one would not go hungry either!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 7:11 AM

I didn't find a tip about the Mannheim Steamroller...oh well, hopefully we can visit in Feb. and find it anyway!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 11:10 AM

I've been to Mannheim and found it a bit bleak but fortunately I stayed with a friend :))

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Despite living so close to Germany it's only in a few recent years that I've started to discover it for myself. After reading your tips I'm sure I'd love Mannheim.

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Mannheim

Have you been to Mannheim?