"Mannheim - so much more than industrial city :-))" Top 5 Page for this destination Mannheim by Trekki
Mannheim Travel Guide: 204 reviews and 459 photos
Mannheim is a very beautiful hidden gem in the open land of Rhine river lowlands, and very easily looked over with such famous locations like Worms, Speyer and Heidelberg around.
It is still referred to as an industrial city, which is the truth (a lot of famous companies are located here such as Daimler and John Deere), but it has so many lovely attractions and a huge amount of recreation possibilities of all kind.
I lived here for a while (until commuting was too time-consuming for me), and I also grew up on the other side of the Rhine – I still miss it for it’s lively atmosphere, it’s beautiful nature around and it’s attractions.
Sitting in a café somewhere close to the market place on Saturday, with bags full of wonderful and delicious fresh food from the market – ahh, this was one of my favourite things to do in the city.
Or getting home after a long working day (and a lobg drive…), hopping on the bike and bike along Rhine river, cross the river or bike along the Neckar, stop here and there for a beer, ice cream or Flammkuchen… this was always fun and always new things to discover.
Or going “culture” and see operas in Rosengarten, learn about the industrialization in the (State) Museum for Technics and Work (Landesmuseum für Technik und Arbeit), or see the stars and planets in the Planetarium – exciting at anytime.
In the beginning, I will write about two of my most preferred spots, Luisenpark, especially the Butterfly House and the Technics Museum, and more to follow, as I will visit Mannheim more frequently now.
Maybe I can convince you to just come and visit this lively town, and not just pass it on the Autobahn or in the train.
And in the meantime, if you think, I am too slow in adding but want to know more about Mannheim, please look at my favourites here on VT:
Teresa for so many information and very nice tips about Mannheim and Don for his opera visits and other tips on Mannheim.
Oh, and not to forget Christine's writings, ahh, among other important and lesser known things, she writes about one of my favourites, the wonderful market :-)
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Mannheim’s Planetarium does have a long history. Already in 1927, it was build as one of the first ones worldwide, with... more travel advice
A place too special to be overlooked within Luisenpark is the Butterfly House within the Greenhouse, that’s why I write... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Mannheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mannheim - a nice place to live in"
- "tessy's new Mannheim Page"
- "Opera in Mannheim"
- "Mannheim - so much more than industrial city :-))"
- "Home Base: Manneheim"
- "Mannheim - a beautiful city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mannheim
- Hotels in Mannheim
- Transportation in Mannheim
- Nightlife in Mannheim
- Restaurants in Mannheim
- Shopping in Mannheim
- Warnings and Dangers in Mannheim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mannheim
- 10 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Mannheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mannheim
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: Small children to entertain!!"
- Commented on one of christine.j's Mannheim travelogues
- updated a Mannheim Travel Page "Mannheim - so much more than industrial city :-))"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mannheim - so much more than industrial city :-))"
- Wrote a Review Go and watch the galaxies in Mannheim Things to Do
Photos in MannheimSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 93 reviews, 421 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues