"My Marburg - the most lovely town in Germany :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn by Trekki

Marburg an der Lahn Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 867 photos

My town of hard work, studies and fun :-)

Update, March 6, 2014 :-)
Fabulous news - I am coming "home". Not for long, only for 5 times one week until end of February 2015 :-)
Why? Well, what shall I say: another time it comes full circle in my life:
I will attend a training course on becoming official tour leader, tour director and event manager. And this course is being held in Marburg :-)
Over the time I will update things and add more information, especially accommodation-wise :-)

*******************************************************************************

Marburg was “home” for me; I lived and studied here from 1978 to 1989. It will always be home to me, because it holds very special memories of my university days. And I am even sure that most of my personal values and attitudes have solidified here in this very liberal town with the very liberal tolerant atmosphere and of course at my university among my colleagues and professors. Thank you all for your positive influence, wherever you are. And thank you Max! But because my university was situated not in the town centre but high up on Lahnberge, I didn’t see much of the town “with visitor’s eyes” during my years there. Well, yes, of course, I was in town quite often, when I needed books or went to a pub in the evening. But I took the city and its beauty for granted, as it is often the case when one lives somewhere.

In May 2008 I decided that it is time to revisit, to take my time and explore, to breathe in the quirky atmosphere it has and to find every half-timbered house I can get hold of during these 3 days. And I wanted to go back to the holy halls where I learned what I know and who I am today. I wanted to touch the walls and repeat my vow that I will not let myself get caught by the greedy, profit-oriented, arrogant and misanthropy analyst-dominated world which often follows the university years in certain branches. It was fantastic, I took over 600 photos and I was blessed with the most magnificent weather. And I repeated my vow :-)

This is why I have updated and expanded “my Marburg”. I have realised that hardly any consistent information about this lovely city is existing in English, so I thought I’d try and do that task. The city is so rich with half-timbered houses, many of which were renovated only recently. I wonder why Marburg is not part of the German Framework Road.

I am well aware that this is one of my most extensive pages up to this day (May 2009). I have described many half-timbered houses in the local customs section. And because some university faculties have moved already or will move soon to other locations, mainly to Lahnberge, I have decided that I will also describe many of them, in a way to honour the great achievements which are originated here. But I hope it is fun to read and I also hope that I succeed to plant the desire for a visit deep into my dear readers. You will not regret it, I am sure.

In the middle of Germany’s state of Hesse, lovely spreading out around river Lahn, Marburg is a lively cute university town with a lot of it’s Medieval charm integrated into the students’ and other inhabitants’ daily life.

Marburg was first mentioned in 1138, and must have already had “market rights” in these days because findings of “Marburger Pfennings”, coins dated back as far as 1140, prove this. The little village gained importance after St. Elisabeth (of Hungary, Thuringia or Marburg – all claim her as famous citizen) settled here in 1228 and founded a hospital to take care of the poor and the sick. Later, Marburg became main domicile for Hesse Landgraves, Philipp the Haughty starting the village’s heydays early 16th century. Philipps University was founded in 1527, which makes it the first protestant university of Germany. In 1529, the famous Marburg Colloquy was held here to settle the religious disputes between Martin Luther and Ulrich Zwingli.
Fortunately, in 1970, the city council has decided to preserve the historical houses. A lot of effort (and money) was put into renovation, so that by now the old town has a wonderful Medieval charm, and it is a pleasure just to endlessly walk through town, up and down and down and up again, look and admire all the beautiful half timbered houses.

So, let me take you by the hand and show and explain you “my” Marburg.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Full of history and lovely young university town atmosphere
  • Cons:not that I know of any
  • Last visit to Marburg an der Lahn: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 6, 2014

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Sorry Ingrid, I can't read any further as something is signing me out all the time. Will return later to see if it is working.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Well Ingrid, You have sold Marburg to me and I think anybody else that takes time to read your excellent page! I know I would love this city, the Castles, the half-timbered homes, beautiful views, food, the list goes on and on. Have never been to that part of Germany where Marburg is located.
      Thanks for a wonderful tour, it was the break I needed from writing tips!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Thank you dear Dee for having taken the time to walk through my Marburg :-)) As I said: come and you would love it!!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM

What a wonderful town with such great and lovely houses and I have never been there yet unfortunately ! Great photography of the rich, local architecture, BUT I am not sure I want to take home that local bat as a souvenir ;-)) !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2011 at 7:24 AM

We were just talking about Marburg the other day because one of my students used to live there and she told us about rowing on the Lahn. But not the relaxing kind of rowing, more the racing kind with four in a boat.

• lucy321's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Thank you for this page on Marburg! I would never have known about such a lovely place if it wasn't for this page. I had three lovely days there and I look forward to going again...

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I never get tired of this page Ingrid. Really looking forward to seeing some of Marburg.

• Jun 22, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Not the bookshop was founded in 1804! It only took over the name of the former workshop of Wilhelm Arcularius... :-) Beautiful idea, isn't it?!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Apr 09 I can't wait (but will anyway) after your revamped page! Do tell me once it is done! Jan 10. You did not! The New Botanic garden looks outstanding but I like the old one too! Hinkelstein? Any link with Charlie Chaplin? Woo, so many famous students!

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Just browsing through VT and came upon your Marburg pages. Brings back memories; my wife and I stayed there for 3 months early in 1972. Have been back once in 1992 with the children. It is a beautiful town. Brilliant photos.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

At least I know what you've been doing this year.......writing tips on Marburg! Awesome. You might have heard that the CIA has had some of its power curtailed.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Your page makes a fascinating reading. Loved the half-timbered houses and all the natural beauty spots. That castle outside Marburg (name starting with an R :) )is a real marvel. Your descriptions of the Marburg sweets have made my mouth water.:)

Trekki Used To Live Here!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Marburg an der Lahn

Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?

Photos in Marburg an der Lahn